SMEG fridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnDeere8530

My wife is desperate for a retro SMEG fridge. I dont have a real problem with the money (although they are over priced compared to others), but upon reading reviews on the net they are meant to suffer from major build quality problems.

I heard tales of the catches breaking that hold the shelves, the plastic inserts, door hinges, door seals etc etc.

How many of you have one, or know of someone that has one? Are they really as bad as the reviews?

I like the gorenje range of retro fridges. These look similar (to me) as SMEG, and there are many rave reviews of these on the net. They are also 20% cheaper and come with a 5yr warranty. A no brainer in my book, but the wife does not like the colours they come in :(

Part of your hard earned is going simply on having those big silver letters on the front of the fridge S M E G.

Its a kitchen show off fridge!

I have Humungasaur on my fridge.

63871_10150258892980551_891950550_14925601_4742664_n.jpg

We've had a SMEG retro fridge for 7-8 years now. The fridge has been faultless apart from the plastic door shelves which started to fail after around 4 years. Around £100 to replace the set IIRC but I managed to find some on ebay for around £40.

My advice, aimed mainly at our children, (something we have conciously followed since fitting the new shelves) is not to "throw" 4 and 6 pint containers of milk into the shelves. Those containers do weigh quite a lot and since we've been careful we've never had a problem.

We have a SMEG fridge. It's a tall one, and is built in. When it was less than a year old it was replaced because the inner casing was splitting.

Just had a look at the one we have now, and there are a couple of splits showing on it. Better than the last one though...this one is nearly 2 years old. Not impressed.

Other than that it does the job, no better, no worse than any other.

Last edited:
It is down to whether you want appearance or function (or to keep on the right side of SWMBO) kitchen appliances are often variable in build quality between manufacturers. I would usually opt for German build quality over appearances every time. Miele have a reputation for good quality and I remember discovering that Liebherr make the goods which Miele sell. Buying Liebherr is cheaper than buying Miele and beats their stratospheric pricing policies (saved 38%) and the quality is excellent, to boot. My last fridge freezer was supplied by Liebherr and it is difficult to find fault with this piece of equipment.

Says it all

Attachments

• l35e005030000_1_16135.jpg
    l35e005030000_1_16135.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 100
...and I remember discovering that Liebherr make the goods which Miele sell.
AFAIK it's only some domestic refridgeration kit that Liebherr make for Miele.

AFAIK it's only some domestic refridgeration kit that Liebherr make for Miele.

I guess I am finding it hard to really care about it (other than because of the highly likely possibility of the words I had written being unintentionally inaccurate) because I own a Liebherr/Miele fridge. :bannana: :D

It would be interesting to know just how much badge engineering is undertaken by Liebherr, at the specific behest of Miele. Probably they need some assistance with their production runs.

My wife is Japanese and she tells me that it is common for Japanese manufacturers (who are in direct competition with each other) to donate the use of their facilities to a competitor. The reason is that Japan's population is around 128 million and bringing a new product to market is difficult. The manufacturing and storage capability does not reside with any one business, if you can see what the logistics nightmare would be when bringing a brand new product to market, hence the cooperation between companies. Not even badge engineering but one company actually making the goods of another company. :eek:

Last edited:
Another vote for LIEBHERR although some of their budget units are built in Romania I believe. Often quite difficult to source immediately.

We almost went for Liebherr, bur Mrs E went for AEG in the end - faultless performance for the last 4.5 years.

My wife is desperate for a retro SMEG fridge. I dont have a real problem with the money (although they are over priced compared to others), but upon reading reviews on the net they are meant to suffer from major build quality problems.

I heard tales of the catches breaking that hold the shelves, the plastic inserts, door hinges, door seals etc etc.

How many of you have one, or know of someone that has one? Are they really as bad as the reviews?

I like the gorenje range of retro fridges. These look similar (to me) as SMEG, and there are many rave reviews of these on the net. They are also 20% cheaper and come with a 5yr warranty. A no brainer in my book, but the wife does not like the colours they come in :(

you gotta make 'em think it's their idea mate...

send this link to her inbox and see if she changes her mind ;-)

10 best fridge-freezers - Telegraph

I've got some relations in Portugal with a Ford Fridge,they've had it forever,it's the coolest thing in the world,no pun intended.

LG/Samsung gets my vote, spend the rest on bits for the car!

No idea what SMEG fridges are like. Can though tell you what utter junk their dishwashers are. Assuming the same "quality" I would steer well clear.

Never liked the idea of SMEG in my kitchen.

Wouldn't buy on principle.

Personally would always stick with german brands

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom