Snapped doing 39mph in a 30mph zone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Got the "Notice of Intended Prosecution" letter.

Any idea what the likely fine amount will be ?

I was snapped on a main road at 10pm - no other cars on road.

No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the offence code will be SP30, and if you accept the fixed penalty offered you will get 3 penalty points and a £60 fine.

Last time I got caught I was doing 68 in a 50. Then got a letter asking me what my salary was. I then got a fine for £380 !!!

Do they still ask what you get paid ?

No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the offence code will be SP30, and if you accept the fixed penalty offered you will get 3 penalty points and a £60 fine.

Thats what i got.

The limits

As a fools rule i used to go by:

1. speeding, up to 20mph over the limit then fixed penalty.

2.Speeding between 20 - 30 mph over the limit i was going to court!

3.Speeding 30+mph over the limit i was also going to court but for a ban (ie for doing double the limit if in a 30 limit, or 100mph on a 70mph motorway).

Also another old wives tail is that the cameras are set at:
30 mph limit = 37mph
40 mph limit = 48mph
50 mph limit = 59mph
60 mph limit = 70mph
70 mph limit = 81mph

It equates to 10% of the actual limit, then 3 mph for speedo error then the next mph over your flashed! (30mph + 10% of 30 = 33 + 3 for error = 36, and camera is set to 37mph.

The guys who I used to work with would go by cameras like this all the time, I thought and still do think its a risky game for a few seconds of time. Plus ive bought a Road Angel now and its more acurate than any speedo so i just make sure im under 30 if im in a 30 camera zone.

Is that a new thing asking what money your earning!!?!

Maybe for fixed penalty notices but it was always the case for a court appearnace.

Maybe for fixed penalty notices but it was always the case for a court appearnace.

true, but you dont have to disclose it if you dont want to, says that on the court from, In Scottish law anyway

Dont Sign the ticket

Motorcycle News features our PACE Witness Statement

On 20th September 2006 MCN publishes another follow-up article about our the PACE witness statement and police intimidation. When you receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) it asks you to identify the driver - and it's an offence to refuse. Read the original MCN article and MCN's editorial comments, together with their follow-up articles:
You can find out about your rights, and how a lot of other people have used our PACE Witness Statement to obey the law without incriminating themselves in the process, in our forums. For more on MCN's speed camera campaign visit their website.

2 months ago, I got done 36 in a 30 zone, got the letter of prosecution, filled it in, posted. 2 weeks later, I got the option of sitting a "Speed Awareness Course" rather than take the points and fine. Obviously, I chose the course.

I think it depends on what force done you.

As a fools rule i used to go by:

1. speeding, up to 20mph over the limit then fixed penalty.

2.Speeding between 20 - 30 mph over the limit i was going to court!

3.Speeding 30+mph over the limit i was also going to court but for a ban (ie for doing double the limit if in a 30 limit, or 100mph on a 70mph motorway).

Also another old wives tail is that the cameras are set at:
30 mph limit = 37mph
40 mph limit = 48mph
50 mph limit = 59mph
60 mph limit = 70mph
70 mph limit = 81mph

It equates to 10% of the actual limit, then 3 mph for speedo error then the next mph over your flashed! (30mph + 10% of 30 = 33 + 3 for error = 36, and camera is set to 37mph.

The guys who I used to work with would go by cameras like this all the time, I thought and still do think its a risky game for a few seconds of time. Plus ive bought a Road Angel now and its more acurate than any speedo so i just make sure im under 30 if im in a 30 camera zone.

The ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) *guidelines* are 10% +2MPH, not +3. So a camera in a 30 would typically be set at 35 (there is one near the offices of the company I used to work for in reading and people regularly got tickets for 35MPH).
Of course your speedo would typically overread 2-3 MPH, so you could go through at indicated 37MPH and not get flashed.

I think all the speeds you shown are some way too high.

Also, you probably won't get a fixed penalty if you go through a 30 camera at 50 - you'll most likely be going to court.

The ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) *guidelines* are 10% +2MPH, not +3. So a camera in a 30 would typically be set at 35 (there is one near the offices of the company I used to work for in reading and people regularly got tickets for 35MPH).
Of course your speedo would typically overread 2-3 MPH, so you could go through at indicated 37MPH and not get flashed.

I think all the speeds you shown are some way too high.

Also, you probably won't get a fixed penalty if you go through a 30 camera at 50 - you'll most likely be going to court.
They are getting tougher a) because it makes more money and b) so flashed at 36 the speedo would have been reading closer to 40 (beyond what might be a misjudgement).
Which creates its own problems when people set themselves at a speedo indicated 28 or 39 or 68 and are actually going slower much to the annoyance of other [law abiding] motorists.

Last edited:
Just wanted to ask if you name a named driver who was really driving at the time, and the person denies it .
Is it your word against theirs and what happens then in court?

Just wanted to ask if you name a named driver who was really driving at the time, and the person denies it .
Is it your word against theirs and what happens then in court?

If it ends up in court then I guess the Magistrates have to make a decision on who they believe.

If it's just a normal Scamera Pratnership S172 form that gets sent to the registered keeper, and the RK identifies another driver who then denies it, then based of contributions to other forums the response seems to vary from nothing happening at all (because all they're interesting in is an easy £60) to the full force of law being used to get to the bottom of what's gone on.

i guess the RK will be in serious Sh1tt then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom