So whats the crack with facelift splitters skirts on prefacelift 202 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
alright peeps,

like it says, got a prefacelift, ive read all the posts about fitting the skirts and was a bit confused about this "changing the weatherseal" on the doors, is this the rubber that is joined to the bottom of the doors ? if so what do i need - the rubber off a facelift car ?

with regards to the facelift bumper splitters ive seen a set but read that its best to change the whole bumpers, the set ive seen are ok and could get away with putting the splitters on my bumpers without painting but if i put the whole bumpers on they would need painting (my original bumpers are pretty mint) its says in previous posts that the lineup is not perfect anyone had any experience of this

cheers

I did a complete exterior facelift on my old 1995 W202 and have written a guide for replacing the front and rear bumpers. HERE (pictures gone as I cant edit the thread anymore :rolleyes:)

Regarding the sideskirts, unless you have a white/sliver car I wouldn't even concern myself with the bottom door strips - even then I wouldn't bother either.

Your biggest concern should be weather-proofing the underneath of the car. Once you cut open the holes under the stills they will expose bare metal which will need protecting.

Pictures of my old W202, both pre-facelift bumpers and facelift bumpers can be found HERE

mercAMG11111.jpg

139k - I took it to the garage tonight with the fuel leak, fingers crossed it doesnt cost too much :(

cheers mate, same colour as mine so a good idea what to expect, so best to stick to changing the whole bumpers then ?

Yes deffo, they are dirt cheap.

For the front you will need to file down the brackets and for the rear bumpers you will need facelift holding rails (about £5 each from a scrappy)

my 2000 C200 W202 has just ticked over to 55k

Thanks for replies, anyways given up on facelifting and gonna go straight to c36'ING. Tracked down a c36 rear bumper and skirts just got to find a front bumper now.

By the my old man's old old old 350 se did 300k without breaking down once before it became a crash barrier / range rover sandwich at 80 mph. Still got out without a scratch. Not bad for a 30 year old car ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom