So you thought your seats were all leather (not Artico)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bought a couple of "leather" chairs from a reputable furniture retailer 15 to 20 years ago which were advertised as full leather.
Soon after purchase noticed that the sides & backs felt different to the seat faces. Checked further & there seemed to be a slight shade difference. Thought that if it was noticeable then, what would it be like 5 or 10 years down the line?
Complained to furniture store & they claimed to be surprised - they were not aware that these chairs were part pvc.
Immediate refund given & chairs returned.
Later bought full leather chairs from them & they have worn beautifully.
Found out at that time that it was "standard" in the car industry to make seats in this way with leather faces & man made sides & backs

My wife's W169 has cloth/artico seats, car's done 68k miles, I hope my C 207 "leather" seats look as good after 68k.

I often wonder how many people buy bonded leather thinking it is genuine leather. It is surprising the number of sales people who falsely claim it is genuine leather. Someone mentioned that you can tell bonded leather because it hasn't any grain. That is not exactly true nowadays-bonded leather can be made to look exactly like the genuine article.

I use leather treatment (wax-based) on my leather steering wheel.

It does feel softer and nicer afterwards. So the product does work.

I am not suggesting that the leather on my SE steering wheel isn't some cheap cr@p coated with some sort of polymer... it very probably is.

I am just saying that whatever it's made of, the leather treatment product I use seem to work on it and produce a pleasant result.

The only other 'leather' bits in my car are apparently the gear selector knob and gaiter. The rest is proper Artico. I just use a damp cloth to clean the seats when needed.

I'm surprised that this is a surprise....Just touch the stuff and you'll know it's not leather. How else do these "leathers" look so pristine after years of use in heat and light after so much abuse and lack of cleaning A real leather would look shabby quickly would need refurbishment / re-connollising, and would cost a lot more in the first place.

This is a car industry thing, nothing unique to Mercedes. Should manufacturers be more honest about it? Maybe - but most people aren't interested, they just want something cheap that looks like leather, that they don't have to clean, and that's what they get.

Leather, Blondes, Butter: the real thing is better, but much more expensive, needs more maintenance, and has a number of downsides.

I-Cant-Believe-Its-Not-Butter-is-getting-a-disappointing-new-name.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot see the fascination in leather, it cracks and has to be fed all sorts of potions. I just had a loan car C class 220CDI. It has 245K and the cloth seets were will nie perfect, a bit grubby, what do you expect from ex company hack.

I'm surprised that this is a surprise....Just touch the stuff and you'll know it's not leather. How else do these "leathers" look so pristine after years of use in heat and light after so much abuse and lack of cleaning A real leather would look shabby quickly would need refurbishment / re-connollising, and would cost a lot more in the first place.

This is a car industry thing, nothing unique to Mercedes. Should manufacturers be more honest about it? Maybe - but most people aren't interested, they just want something cheap that looks like leather, that they don't have to clean, and that's what they get.

Leather, Blondes, Butter: the real thing is better, but much more expensive, needs more maintenance, and has a number of downsides.

I-Cant-Believe-Its-Not-Butter-is-getting-a-disappointing-new-name.jpg
I have to disagree. I refuse to believe there is a downside to real butter, not havin' it ! , Blondes...yes I can think of a few downsides. But Butter ? NEVER !! :mad:

I have to disagree. I refuse to believe there is a downside to real butter, not havin' it ! , Blondes...yes I can think of a few downsides. But Butter ? NEVER !! :mad:

Let me introduce you to my Doctor..... Think of all the running about and extra calories you have to burn.... for both the Blondes and Butter.

Let alone the cost.

Had a brief excursion into Jaguar. Badly let down by quality, or was it quality control!?
One of the threads on that forum, which has been going on a long time, is about 'leather' on seats stretching and puddleling. So it's all makes not just MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom