Solid Mass Flywheel Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blobsta

Car
S202 C43 Wagon
Morning all,

After a mere 140k miles, my clutch is starting to judder when hot (but doesn't slip) so I suspect that I will need a new DMF. As I have no history of this work ever being done I have to assume that it is original. Obviously no point in changing just the flywheel so I'll do the lot.

I almost always fit OEM parts but on this occasion, I have to consider other options as I am looking at circa £1000 for the parts (DMF, Bolts, Clutch, CSC).

So the question is; has anyone done a Solid Mass Flywheel conversion? Any advice or experience on OEQ/aftermarket options? and where to locate them.

There are conversion kits for Mercedes vans PHASE 2 SPRINTERS [903] which possibly share the same engine flywheel combo OM612 /647 [ shurly shome mishtake a van engine in a prestigious coupe.;)] I would try searching there.

Last edited:
Morning all,

After a mere 140k miles, my clutch is starting to judder when hot (but doesn't slip) so I suspect that I will need a new DMF. As I have no history of this work ever being done I have to assume that it is original. Obviously no point in changing just the flywheel so I'll do the lot.

I almost always fit OEM parts but on this occasion, I have to consider other options as I am looking at circa £1000 for the parts (DMF, Bolts, Clutch, CSC).

So the question is; has anyone done a Solid Mass Flywheel conversion? Any advice or experience on OEQ/aftermarket options? and where to locate them.

If it's still serviceable just get the flywheel skimmed ~£40 job done :thumb: Very few can't be skimmed it's just another con to get us to spend hundreds we don't need to on parts we don't need. :D We always used to skim rather than replace and warranted it and never had a comeback only time we swapped a DMF was if the customer specifically requested it or it was damaged beyond skimming.

If it's still serviceable just get the flywheel skimmed ~£40 job done :thumb: Very few can't be skimmed it's just another con to get us to spend hundreds we don't need to on parts we don't need. :D We always used to skim rather than replace and warranted it and never had a comeback only time we swapped a DMF was if the customer specifically requested it or it was damaged beyond skimming.

Hi,
Is this something any good machine shop could do? As I am probably going to have to do the clutch on my Audi (Quattro) soon and was wondering whether to replace, skim or indeed leave untouched the flywheel.

Hi,
Is this something any good machine shop could do? As I am probably going to have to do the clutch on my Audi (Quattro) soon and was wondering whether to replace, skim or indeed leave untouched the flywheel.

It's normally the same people that skim cylinder heads and brake discs but no reason why it can't be done in a good machine shop, for what it costs its better to err on the side of caution and get it done if you are doing the clutch

I have had flywheels refaced (and lightened back in the fast Ford days) but I didn't know or it never occurred to me to do a DMF. As I can drive a car, I don't need a Dual Mass but as it is OEM, i'd rather keep it. A good friend of mine uses a very friendly machine shop (just rebuilt a 1600 X-Flow with lightened flywheel coincidentally). I'll get on to them.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me. It can be easy to set off down the wrong path! Investigation Time!

On a 5 cylinder diesel at 140,000 miles I would be inclined to replace the DMF in its entirety and there are a few bits to potentially wear out/fatigue such as the springs and central bearing. Since its an engine/gearbox out job why wouldn't you? I imagine there are perfectly good OEM quality DMF /Clutch kits considerably cheaper than the MB one ?? Inspection once its off should clarify what to do. :dk: Let us know how you get on.

Grober - I am inclined to agree, the thing is that the cost difference between MB and say Euro Car Parts isn't that great. My neighbour works for MB so I have a trade cash account. Invariably, I can buy genuine parts for almost the same as aftermarket so I ALWAYS go MB.

On reflection of the fault, I am certain that it is the DMF failing. It judders when pulling away once the car has been driven for a couple of hours which leads me to think that the springs are getting weak when they get hot rather than a warped face which would judder all the time.

It doesn't need to be done right now as it doesn't slip (yet) and it is only a minor irritation but I feel I should look at my options rather than make a "stress purchase" if it fails. I'm quite happy to pull the box off myself and change the clutch, my only issue is getting it high enough. I may be able to use a lift but I won't have the luxury of investigating options as it will need to be done in one day.

Who am I kidding? I am going to do the whole lot!

I would agree if you think it is the springs and not the face but springs and bearings on German DMF are usually good for 250,000 miles. Let us know how you get on but my moneys on a partially warped face

Personally, I wouldn't know how to tell if it was the springs with the DMF removed. I haven't had any experience with them to be able to compare it.

I wonder if there is a market for used flywheels :-o

Last edited:
I was discussing this on another car forum last month, and was advised that the DMF are there due to the more powerful engines of today that cause more stresses and vibrations, which the DMF reduces. after this conflab I did some investigation into getting rid of the DMF off of my car (front wheel drive chrysler) and soon found three camps of opinion:
1, change it, it is a money making scam
2, It is there for a reason, taking it off will reduce the life of bottom end of engine and drive shafts
3, The conversion kits haven't been around long enough to make a valued opinion.

Further investigation showed evidence to support all camps of thought, which left me unresolved as what to do with my chrysler.

I thing DMF's are there to mainly reduce drive line harshness rather than increase longevity altho they may help slightly there also. Solid flywheels on diesels have been around since time immemorial so nothing to fear there. However most of these conversions are aimed at Van engines which are perhaps subject to many more stop starts over high mileages and hence more prone to failure- and a van off the road isn't making money. Removing a DMF and replacing with a solid flywheel is going to result in a rougher feeling engine which is perhaps something you might live with in a van but might literally "grate a bit " after a while in a luxury saloon??

This is a good explanation [YOUTUBE]pgBxOOTKxMI[/YOUTUBE]
and this agood visual representation illustrating how starting and stopping the engine represents one of the maximum stress conditions.:eek:

[YOUTUBE]DbvP5EvpUbA[/YOUTUBE]

An excellent and informative video, I always thought that a Dual Mass Flywheel was some sort of major scientific advancement. Why not just call it a flywheel with a cush drive inside, much easier explanation.

I have just ordered my kit from Sachs UK. A very good price I thought: £499.99 delivered.
Dual Mass Flywheel
DMF bolts
2pc Clutch
Concentric Slave Cylinder

Not sure when I will get around to fitting it but I will keep you informed.

Blob

Cush Drive? I detect a Motorcyclist here Toolman... Virago is shaft is it not, does the BSA have a cush drive? The last one I did any work on was on my RGV250k - that was back in the day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom