Something to remember

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artyman

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Kia E-Niro ex C 200 CDI Sport
Compiled following a trip to the Somme Battlefields where my grandfather was wounded twice. So I made this short video as a tribute to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. It really brought home to me the pain and sadness experienced by both sides of the conflict, and the futility of it all. Even more surprising they went for the replay 20 years later when it must still have been fresh in a lot of memories.

Remembrance 1914-1918 - YouTube

Thanks for that.

I make no claim to having any particular expertise regarding the WWI battlefields and memorials, but I've visited many of them over the years and have taken others to see them. One aspect of them that never fails to surprise, no matter how many times I go back, is the sheer scale of destruction which is impossible to grasp until you see it for yourself.

Without doubt, they are a monument to mankind's destructive powers, but I also find it strangely uplifting that almost 100 years later so many are willing to give of their time to ensure that those who fell are not forgotten and that every new generation gets the opportunity to see why "jaw jaw" is much preferable to "war war".

My fascination started as a child as both my grandfather's fought for the duration of the conflict and both survived - physically at least - unscathed. My Dad's father (who was a Sergeant) was decorated with the French Croix de Guerre and would answer questions about the conflict if asked. My Mum's father, who was also a Sergeant, never talked about his experiences. That difference between two men was hard for a child brought up on a diet of Cowboys and Indians and WWII "glory" films was difficult to understand, and it was only as I grew older that it started to make some sense. The first time I visited some of the major CWGC sites on the Somme 20-odd years ago things started to make even more sense.

About 5 years ago I took my Dad for the first time to see some of the battlefields that his late father had fought on. Unfortunately, we couldn't determine with certainty when he fought at some of the places because - with massive irony - his father's military records were destroyed by Luftwaffe bombing during WWII, but it was a wonderful weekend spent together, and an enlightening experience for a near 80-year-old.

Thanks again for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom