Somewhere to supply and fit lowering springs - M40 J9 Area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
I must admit that I am struggling with this one.

I want to find somewhere, as local as possible, but willing to travel that can supply and fit some uprated dampers and lowering springs to my car.

It seems to me that by getting them supplied and fitted at the same time I am going to save potential issues and hopefully anywhere that can supply and fit should have some experieince in this area.

The trouble is I haven't been able to track anywhere down that seems to supply as well as fit.

The Spax and Koni dealer lists are crap.

I am thinking, just to get the enquiries going, somethat can at least supply and fit Koni, Spax, Bilsteins, Eibach or H&R's.

AMD are very close to me and deal with Koni and H&R, but do not have a Mercedes comaptible spring compressor.

So, any ideas?

Actually forget R-tec, they're nr M1 J9, not M40 J9!

They do have a good rep for supplying and and fitting though so may be worth a call...

You far from Brum? I got my H&R's fitted at Andy Gayles.

Sorted :D

smartbrabus said:
Actually forget R-tec, they're nr M1 J9, not M40 J9!

They do have a good rep for supplying and and fitting though so may be worth a call...

If they have the experieince, a Merc spring compressor and are open Saturdays, they could be in. Thaks - I will call Monday to see what their advice is like at least.

altreed said:
You far from Brum? I got my H&R's fitted at Andy Gayles.

Sorted :D

I'm not too far away. There is another MB independant a lot closer to me, who probably has the tools, but I doubt his experience at fitting non MB parts - if he's willing I may source some H&R's separatly and try..which leads me to my last concern.....

Altreed - in another thread you say on your C36 you havegone with H&R's to lower, but left the shocks standard.

I don't mind loosing a bit of comfort in favour of a sportier ride, but my main mission is to drop the car. How much did yours lower?

Also, on Oxons and Bucks undulating A and B roads, if I rattle along quick enough (under a ton) I very occassionally ground out. I'm not sure of the lowest part on the car, but it sounds like a grinding coming from the back.

This is easier acheived with 4 up, but worringly, I have had the same trouble with only me!

Can you relate to this?

My fear is lowering the car without stiffening up the dapening is only going to lead me to repair bills?

GrahamC230K said:
I very occassionally ground out. I'm not sure of the lowest part on the car, but it sounds like a grinding coming from the back.

Couldn't be that great big ...... 'Zorst :eek: :eek: could it ??

S.

i reckon it came down a further 15-25mm, never really measured the difference, it looks lower though.

The springs are progressive, but soon stiffen up as they are compressed. I have grounded mine now, but just over speed bumps and suchalike.

I kept the AMG dampers as they were probably plenty stiff enough.

I ordered my H&R's and took them to Brum to have them fitted at service time.

Hope you get what you need.

Dave

GrahamC230K said:
Nah, this is pre-'zorst!

Only occasional.

Still probably the exhaust in front of the driveshaft. Go on lie down and have a look underneath.

I think you are right to be concerned about the grounding as I'm sure it will happen all the more once the car is lower unless you opt for significantly stiffer springs. Also wont the suspension hit the bump stops effectively ending the suspension movement?

Birds offer a nice Carlsson package of springs, dampers and bushes, beefier anti roll bar too if required - I'll make a call tomorrow and report back. Sounds pricey though - but I want this done properly if at all.

Well, done some calling today.

R-tech sound knowledgeable. They have experieince in dealing with Mercedes too.

They can supply Eiback or H&R Springs for about £130 and can fit for approx £150 on top.

Ideally they would like to see my car prior to assess the condition of the existing damper before making a recommendation there.

The only downside is they have 2 hour waitis on a Saturday with all the Chavs qeuing up for advice, so a weekday visit is essential.

I spoke to Birds, who are mailing me some information. They can supply Carlsson springs, designed to be used with stock dampers for a cost of £230 +VAT and a further £280+vat to fit. They advised I would hit the bump stops more regularly if I lowered the car, but this is normal.

They also list a Carlsson spring and damper conversion, but this may now be unavailable - they are confirming.

£600 is a lot, but it sounds quality, and only gives a moderate 25mm drop. Plus side is one of their techs lives around the corner so a drop off and collect could be arranged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom