Sorry Sir, it's policy .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Happened by a dealership today and made an enquiry to purchase a spare part. Sort of thing we all have, use daily and just about every car in the country features.

"No problem Sir, we'll just book your car in and get it attended to for you"

"No you won't" says I. I just want to pay the price, be on my way and attend to fitting myself.

"Sorry Sir, it's policy we fit them."

"Whose policy ? It certainly isn't law and I doubt it is MB's policy"

"The company owner. Pendragon. They need us to create a job card."

"Very good. Tell them that they have lost a future customer. I'll get the part I need in Halfords"

My crime. To try and buy a new number plate to replace the one that is delaminating on my car. A number plate the same dealer supplied when I got the car in June 2009. The plate is less than two years old.

I wasn't even attempting to get one without the V5 before anyone mentions.

Bureaucracy at it's finest. No wonder dealerships get slated.

Was it fitted for free?

Told them the only way the car was being booked in was for a free plate and free fitting.

Needless to say, I'll be getting the plate elsewhere.

I get my plates off Ebay. Legal, decent quality, inexpensive and no paperwork required. :)

Got my plates made at Hughes - last month - very helpfull - done free fitting there and then. Took 10 mins all in.

In fact thinking about it - yes they also gave me one to take away ( I was fitting it to a surround )

Think it's just that dealer you went to

Think it's just that dealer you went to

Had the same issue before with Finchley Road Audi, some dealers do this. As well as seeing proof of ID and entitlement to the mark which all number plate makers need they stated their policy was just that to fix it to the vehicle - when I questioned it they claimed it was due to the high number of cloned plates!

Yup - agree - I had the DVLA plate transfer paperwork + v5 and if I remember they wanted id - so took copy of passport etc.

MB Glasgow?

Fear not John R Weir is worse, if you do not have the VIN number they won't even deal with any service enquiry or let you book the car in for a service

I used Halfords a few times in the past with no problems. 2 min job and then you can fit the plates yourself with those sticky pads. Looks clean and no drilling holes in the bodywork.

They just need your driving license and V5.

What are the security implications if any of registration plates held on by sticky pads ? If its desirable to apply a heavy layer of security to ordering and fitting number plates surely they should be fixed to the car with tamperproof fixings. Seems a bit pointless to jump thro hoops to get them fitted only to have them prised off by some ned with a cold chisel/ bolster in a multi storey car park a few days later? :dk:

I too just bought some off eBay. Super quality (3M plastics). IMO better than any I have seen from main dealers. My pair of plates cost £10 delivered. A1 service.

Told them the only way the car was being booked in was for a free plate and free fitting.

Needless to say, I'll be getting the plate elsewhere.

You didn't actually answer. Were they offering free fitting?

I suspect it's so they can definitely guarantee the plates go onto the car they are requested for.

I too just bought some off eBay. Super quality (3M plastics). IMO better than any I have seen from main dealers. My pair of plates cost £10 delivered. A1 service.

They are technically illegal, most probably. They won't have a BS number, though in all other respects be legal. Just like mine:)

Last edited:
They are technically illegal, most probably. They won't have a BS number, though in all other respects be legal. Just like mine:)
Mine have the BS number, so are fully legal. Many on Ebay, just look around. :)

Just wish there was no BS at times at the dealers ....

Colin b- The jokers that repaired my CL fitted a new front number plate with no BS or comany / maker name on it!

The BS number just refers to the reflective background and general construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom