Sound of water in my E Class coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
We've had a fair bit of rain recently as you know. Iv started to hear a wooshing water noise whenever I hit the brakes in my E Clsss coupe I can hear a tide of water. I can't work out where it's coming from. It's under warranty so I'll be ringing Mercedes up but does anyone have an idea of what the issue may be?

is it not fuel in the tank u can hear ??

No it's definitely like a tide of water. Drive along the road, be sharp on the brakes and you can't fail
To hear it..

I take it you have checked the spare wheel well as the easiest place to check.

Other culprits could be the doors if the drains are blocked. On another car I have also seen the internal airbox for the air system fill up. Pored out when the cabin filter was removed. Again, it was a blocked drain that caused it.

I take it you have checked the spare wheel well as the easiest place to check.

Other culprits could be the doors if the drains are blocked. On another car I have also seen the internal airbox for the air system fill up. Pored out when the cabin filter was removed. Again, it was a blocked drain that caused it.

Yes iv checked the spare wheel well, no joy. Is sorting the blocked drains in the door a job I can do myself?

Not something I have looked at to be honest.

Maybe the first step it to open the door and swing it open and shut whilst listening for any water movement. Should be able to hear it without the engine running if that is the source.

Not something I have looked at to be honest.

Maybe the first step it to open the door and swing it open and shut whilst listening for any water movement. Should be able to hear it without the engine running if that is the source.

I'll book it into Merc and let them investigate it I think..

Eh. Just open the door and listen. How easy could that be. Could just be water blocked.

Iv opened the door and can't hear anything which suggests the issue is elsewhere ..

What about the other door or the boot lid?

I remember the boot on my E had a sloshing sound in it.

I removed this small piece of air sponge (for want of the correct term) and a load of water poured out.

It stopped filling up after that although I understood water drained through it by design.

Saying that, I'm not sure I could hear that in the cabin.

Have you checked the sills along each side of car , I think there are bungs you can release, I read this on the US forum , I will try and find the article and post it here .

I had the sound of water sloshing about in the ML. It turned out to be in the sills. What was worse the water overflowed into the battery compartment (under the driver's seat) and wrecked a module (£300+ later).

I had the same problem many years ago in an Astra. It was so bloody infuriating, never did get to find out where it was sloshing back and forth

Water in the sills?

Faulty drains resulted in water in the sills of one of my cars "back in the day."

Obviously MB own the problem, so pass back to them.

To help track the problem, as usual the best trick is to get a passenger to try to track "roughly" where the noise is coming from: left / right / front back....
That's what MB's service guys will be doing.

It would help if you could say to them "look I think I've got water moving inside the left hand, or right hand, sill."

BTW - if you have a sunroof, the drains from the sunroof can sometime be an issue.

If the sloshing is happening when braking , the water is likely to be in a longitudinal member rather than a transverse one , so I'd imagine sills are a good call .

There should be drains at each end of the sills - try poking a bit of wire into each drain and see what happens .

Another favourite is for the drains below each corner of the windscreen to become blocked with fallen leaves and the like , causing water to go where it shouldn't - again clear any visible leaves then pour a jug of water down to check drain is clear and water running freely out below .

Cheers guys,

As the car is under warranty it's booked into Mercedes Stockport in 3 weeks time for them to sort it.

The situation has got worse. I prodded about on both sills last night and water started to drip out of them both. THis morning their was a puddle underneath one of the sills. Iv come to start the car to use it for work and the car wouldnt turn over. The lights on the dash came up but nothing when i turn the key, i can hear a very quiet clicking behind the dash when i put the key in.

Are electrics within the sill itself and does this sound like what could be causing the issue?

Have you called merc assist?

Yes but due to work today and tomorrow I wont be available for them to come out until Sunday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom