Sound proofing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mapleleaf

MB Enthusiast
Car
2022 GLC 300 estate- replaced 2018 Gle 43 AMG Night - replaced previous 2015 E63 AMG
A strange one this but I wondered if anyone had any advice.

I am refurbishing a new office and unfortunately my room will be next to the gents!

For obvious reasons I want to ensure that no sound can be heard in the gents from my room ie private (managerial type) conversations in my room cant be heard by anyone using the facilities. .. oh & vice versa :eek:

The dividing walls are 2"x4" stud partition with 1/2" plasterboard each side - double boarded on my side and with 6" loft insulation infill. both sides of the wall have been plaster skimmed.

I wondered if there were any other building sound insulation products that could be applied to guarantee privacy both ways.

We have the same issue with the ladies being next to the staff room/kitchen.

thick wallpaper will help... lots of nobo boards hung up (not nailed up)... big 'world' posters? pictures? a coffee pot going constantly (hiiiiisshhhh bobble bobble blop... ;) )?

only today someone showed me some sound deadening material for rooms, ie floor and walls.

It was a small sample approx 3" x 3" and quite heavy, so obviously dense.

It was approx 2cm thick (I know inches AND centimetres :rolleyes: ) and was made from a dense foam like material.

Try linky for the sort
of thing I mean

To do it on the real cheap I guess another layer on the wall of eg timber frame with insulation etc

hth

You could go the way of the Fonze and make your office in the toilet?

What about looking at the sound insulation they use for music studios?

sound proof

:D egg boxes lots of them in-between the two stud walls

Unlucky at getting the office next to the toilets, the gents ones as well!
At least you shouldn't get caught short now! ;)

If they've already skimmed the walls, quite a few of your options are lost.

Depends if there was any insulation put inbetween the studs of the wall, as that would be a good start.
I believe it is the gaps that provide room for the noise to vibrate.

Could try a roll of dynamat? ;)

good luck

Cheers

Sparky
PS Let us know how you get on, as I could do with doing the walls at home!!

mark.t said:
:D egg boxes lots of them in-between the two stud walls

urban myth I'm afraid - egg boxes may look like the stuff they put on recording studio walls but they don't have the same effect.

Fill the gaps with Rockwool or acoustic foam

Andy

andy_k said:
urban myth I'm afraid - egg boxes may look like the stuff they put on recording studio walls but they don't have the same effect.

Andy
<sarcasm> Actually, if you get that great expanding foam from B&Q (which also insulates from temperature differences) you can fill the egg boxes, and then they will be PERFECT insulation. :p </sarcasm>

Oh wait, you had hollow walls, so you could just drill a hole or two, inject some of the insulating foam into the walls and wait for it to expand and dry. Repeat (starting at the bottom) moving upwards until the whole wall is filled. Then patch the holes, paint them and you should be able to murder an intern without the people in the toilet hearing you;)
Michele

Hi Guys

yes I can hear you ! thanks for the tips

The walls have already been erected & skimmed, but having looked at he options suggested I reckon I could add a layer of acoustic matting then add another layer of plasterboard & skim that. I have also had al lthe edges of the walls sealed .

I'll let you know how I get on.

andy_k said:

Andy

I held two egg boxes against my ears today as a test your right it didn't really deaden the sound but scrambled it :D ;)

I have some ear defenders which I wear when entering engine test cells at work. Perhaps these would help?
In hindsight, "Celotex" would have been better than loft insulation material between the studs, although using the itchy stuff does seem to be the norm (I've just had a loft conversion done and the builders used loft material in my dividing walls!).

Try logging on to lafarge.com,search for soundproofing. These guys manufacture plasterboards for all uses including soundproofing new and existing. ;)

If you can open up the partition again. Ask the contractor to insert 80mm of rockwool RW4 sound insulation. If not, then hang a heavy duty curtain 50mm away from the wall - floor to ceiling. It might look like a cinema but it will work. Used this in a sound recording studio recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom