Sounds of the sixties

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Sad to hear of Brian Matthew's passing, I grew up listening to a lot of 60's music (along with endless Northern Soul) and I really enjoyed listening to him on a Saturday morning, he is a great loss to broadcasting.

Very similar tone to Terry Wogan, he was perfect to wake up to, not like some of these jumpy-jacks that seem to infest the airwaves now.

Brian Matthew's contribution to the UK Pop Music scene even predates RADIO 1. His Saturday {Skiffle} Club on the Light Programme [ as oppose to the main Home Service] came on just after Children's Favorites and went on showcase many popular UK up and coming popular music artists. Many of these were clones of American Brill Building solo artists but in 1963 a young group from Liverpool appeared called the Beatles! [ their fee was 50 guineas]The pirate radio ships were to follow and despite Lord Reith " birling in his grave" the BBC's Radio One was born.
A true broadcasting pioneer, he's up there with Alan Freed in America. RIP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Club_(BBC_Radio)

Brain+Matthew+with+The+Beatles.jpg

Biography | Alan Freed

Last edited:
...he was perfect to wake up to, not like some of these jumpy-jacks that seem to infest the airwaves now.
Couldn't agree more. Another comforting and informative voice from my youth gone :(

Why on earth the BBC think it's a good idea to put that chirpy idiot Dermot O'Leary on when I'm waking up on a Saturday morning is beyond me. The last thing I need at the weekend is some chatty moron blithering on about things I couldn't care less for instead of just playing music :mad:

Couldn't agree more. Another comforting and informative voice from my youth gone :(
A real shame, he went to my school it turns out. I thought he was being a bit optimistic wanting to do the programme every Sat when he returned from illness but I can't imagine anyone thought his time was so limited. A real loss.

Why on earth the BBC think it's a good idea to put that chirpy idiot Dermot O'Leary on when I'm waking up on a Saturday morning is beyond me. The last thing I need at the weekend is some chatty moron blithering on about things I couldn't care less for instead of just playing music :mad:
Well anything is better than the simpering Anneka Rice. I'm sure she's a lovely person but hers is not a radio style I warm to, especially first think in the morning.

And why move SOTS to 6 am?!? OK, Tony Blackburn is possibly the best replacement for Brian Matthew, at least he was there!

And what a dreary programme Pick of the Pops is now with Paul Gam-whatever-his-name-is. No atmosphere at all, IMHO.

Anyway, thanks, Brian, for bringing the 60s to life.

I seem to remember he used to like Yogi Bear back in the 60's. Wasn't that part of his patter? I also used to enjoy the Huckleberry Hound show.

A great loss and will be sadly missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom