Space save-Will it or won't it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
My other half is collecting an R172, SLK shortly and it has the silly tyre foam stuff and a compressor. We would really like a space saver or collapsible spare that would fit in the wheel well under the boot floor. Some have said it's not a wheel well??, some say the space saver wheel doesn't fit in there and some say if you get a flat, the standard 18" alloy with the flat won't fit laying in the boot either. Other thing I have read say the collapsible wheel/tyre will fit in the wheel well type area under the boot floor. Can anyone confirm this please?

I looked into this myself and came to the conclusion that a space saver wouldn't fit the diameter of the boot well. A folding tyre would fit but then the punctured wheel would not fit in the boot space? :fail
So in the end I settled for compressor and a can of gunk :thumb:

A250 Bennyboy said:
I looked into this myself and came to the conclusion that a space saver wouldn't fit the diameter of the boot well. A folding tyre would fit but then the punctured wheel would not fit in the boot space? :fail So in the end I settled for compressor and a can of gunk :thumb:
Thank you for the reply. Would the punctured wheel not fit in the boot at all? Not even on top of the boot floor rather than in the wheel well?

I would have though you could get it in an SLK, but you probably can't fold the roof with the tyre in the way.

My wife has a R172 and previously had a R171. I believe that the well in the boot floor is the same size on both cars but haven't measured it.

If it is the same size then you would need a collapsible space saver as was supplied with the R171, as a standard spacesaver won't fit. You will also need the jack and wheelbrace, and of course you already have the compressor. An 18" rim will definitely fit in the boot, but I think it would be a tight fit with a tyre on it. It definitely won't fit in the wheel well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom