Space saver spare wheel problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CHRISCHANCE

Car
ML55 AMG
Had a puncture yesterday so used the space saver to get home.

I didn't know I should use space saver wheel nuts; I simply took off the punctured wheel and used those wheel nuts to secure the space saver wheel.
When I drove away there was a momentary clatter of metal, which ceased after just a couple of seconds. Everything was then normal until I had a new tyre fitted and the tyre fitter took off the space saver and tried to fit the normal wheel back on.

The 5 wheel nuts had their threads bashed in because of using them to secure the space saver wheel.

Luckily, the fitter sorted the threads and fitted the wheel. He told me there should be 5 shorter wheel nuts - sorry, they're not nuts, they are studs or bolts. Anyway, before I have another puncture I must find the correct studs for the space saver.

On the space saver mounting inside the car there are 3 securing studs. I wonder if they are meant to be used? If so, I would think there should be 5 of them.
Ideas please.
Chris.

On the space saver hub there should be a clear plastic cover, and pressed into it 5 short wheel bolts.

The should also be a sticker on the space saver rim saying that you should use the supplied bolts.

You need to check the handbrake shoes and mechanism for damage.

On the space saver hub there should be a clear plastic cover, and pressed into it 5 short wheel bolts.

The should also be a sticker on the space saver rim saying that you should use the supplied bolts.

3166kb8.jpg

Did the same myself. Luckily I didnt drive more than a few yards b4 mate pointed out that shirt ones were needed. Luckily they were in boot. Id try scrap yard or ebay for some. Could measure them 2moro if thats any help

The Space Saver wheel bolts for my car (2006 W203 C180K) are:

A 170 584 05 38

Though there may different bolts for other models.

Last edited:
The space saver for my W220 ( s class 2003 ) is perhaps the largest spare wheel I have ever seen and does not appear to have any shorter studs with it. Should it ??

The space saver for my W220 ( s class 2003 ) is perhaps the largest spare wheel I have ever seen and does not appear to have any shorter studs with it. Should it ??

Same on my 2001 CL. There's nowhere obvious to store shorter studs so I assume standard ones are okay.

I have used the spare wheel without any (apparent) problems.

Thanks for the replies.
I've checked the spare and there are no stickers apart from the 50mph sticker.
I also checked the user handbook and there's loads of info about changing wheels etc., but nothing about using shorter wheel bolts.
I took off a wheel bolt and compared it to the securing internal bolts and the difference is about 15mm, so I think the securing bolts are to be used instead of the regular wheel bolt - but there's only 3 of them because the securing mount has only 3 holes in it.
Mechanic neighbour said, '3 bolts is enough to get you to a tyre shop, you ain't gonna be driving around with that skinny thing for long - makes a cool car look like s**t.' Maybe he's right, but I will get 2 more bolts just in case.
C.

Interesting, why do MB not just weld a spacer "tube" where the stud holes are on the steelies so they are the same thickness as the alloys, same bolts can be used then, sure save a lot of confusion and missing bolts a few years down the line!

I reckon as soon as you touched the brakes those tubes would be ripped off and then the bolts sheared. The bolts are there to pull the wheel's face against the hub face, with just tubes, torsional force would bend them sideways.

I reckon as soon as you touched the brakes those tubes would be ripped off and then the bolts sheared. The bolts are there to pull the wheel's face against the hub face, with just tubes, torsional force would bend them sideways.

Not if they were engineered properly.

The spacer "tubes" not only would be welded to the wheels but on the outside of the wheel, the clamping force would still be on the face of the steel against the hub, just the same as putting several washers on longer bolts, but designed for the job.

That still puts far too much stress on the bolts. It needs to be a full face fitting. Which is probably the reason they don't do it the way you're suggesting. The wheels are made of mild steel, 5 tubes, and their welds would be ripped and folded like clay as soon as you touch the brake pedal, putting all the strain on the bolts again.

Either way, it's obviously better, from an engineering, or cost point of view, or they'd be doing it differently.

OP, see post three...get your parking brake checked...I think you will have damaged it.

That still puts far too much stress on the bolts. It needs to be a full face fitting. Which is probably the reason they don't do it the way you're suggesting. The wheels are made of mild steel, 5 tubes, and their welds would be ripped and folded like clay as soon as you touch the brake pedal, putting all the strain on the bolts again.

Either way, it's obviously better, from an engineering, or cost point of view, or they'd be doing it differently.

No, it'll be much the same stress levels as having the bolts clamping force going through the same thickness as on the alloy wheels, it's just going through steel instead.

It may well be a cost efficient way of doing it, still a pain having another set of bolts to lose over the years.

Hope the OP manages to find the extra bolts anyway.

Hi renault12ts,
I don't think the brakes are damaged because they work normally and there are no strange noises. Only the tips of the wheel bolts were damaged (just the 1st threads), but I'll get it checked later.
Thanks,
C.

Hi renault12ts,
I don't think the brakes are damaged because they work normally and there are no strange noises. Only the tips of the wheel bolts were damaged (just the 1st threads), but I'll get it checked later.
Thanks,
C.

What do you think damaged the threads?

Hello. Should I have special bolts for space saver wheel.For my 2012 reg c220 elegance cdi blueef I. Have checked spare wheel . No bolts taped to wheel.James.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom