Space saver wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James brown

Car
C220 elegance cdi blueefi-cya.
Is It possible to purchase space saver wheel and jack for e300 bluetec hybrid.Thanking you in anticipation.Jimbob.

You can get anything you want from the dealer .

However , given the choice , I would get a proper spare wheel every time : much safer and not restricted to a short distance at reduced speed as space savers are ( usually they are specified no further than 50 miles at no more than 50 mph , due to reduced grip and uneven braking - I would not want one of these on any car of mine under any circumstance ) . Since the wheel well in the boot has to accommodate the full size wheel you take off , there is plenty of room to carry a full size spare . Before anyone mentions weight , if you are worried about the small amount of extra fuel the weight difference between a space saver and full size wheel will use up , perhaps a more economical car than a Mercedes ought to be on the radar .

When I bought my S203 it came with a space saver : I lost no time in going to the dealer and purchasing a full size steel wheel ( in stock and only £50 , cheaper option than a fifth alloy ) then got a matching set of five new tyres as the others needed replacement anyway .

Not all modern mercs have space for a full size spare. Many cars over the past decade don't even have any space for a spare whatsoever...

Have you actually checked you have space for a spare wheel?

Being a Hybrid if it anything like my A6 the underfloor trunk area is taken up by parts of the hybrid system, in my case auxiliary cooling/heating system for the battery.

Not all modern mercs have space for a full size spare. Many cars over the past decade don't even have any space for a spare whatsoever...
Yes there is space for a spare wheel.Jimbob.

I know , I was presuming the OP had checked that already .

If no space for a normal wheel , then no space for the punctured wheel - very poor design .

I will not buy a car like that .

Jimbob, you're the one with the car so I don't want to doubt you, but i'm sure when I looked in the boot of one of these it only had about 2/3 of the space normally needed for a spare.
I'd get the tape measure out if I were you and check how much space you have there.

I know , I was presuming the OP had checked that already .

If no space for a normal wheel , then no space for the punctured wheel - very poor design .

I will not buy a car like that .

There are a variety of reasons why manufacturers design cars like this.

Volvo produce cars that can be bought as eco models that emit 99 g/km - very enticing for company car drivers. The model comes without a spare or a jack etc. Which saves almost 20KG. If you option to have a spare it brings the co2 to 101g/km and changes the taxation bracket obviously.

The BMW E90 3 series has no space for a spare wheel at all and this is believed just to give better load height and to give space to move more electronic components from front to rear to help the balance of the car. Originally the car would have had run flats so the spare is not so critical, but with many owners changing away from awful run flat tyres, they are left with the option of a can of tyre weld or keep a spare in the boot, on top of the mat.

I agree with you, that all cars should have a spare. Even when manufacturers started going to space savers, we still had the option to fit a full size spare in the well if we wanted...that's unfortunately gone out of the window.

The only option for some cars is becoming :
2014+mini-paceman-adventure-concept-1review+specs+photos6.jpg

I think it is a ridiculous situation , and a far cry from the days of my Ponton which carries TWO spare wheels ( OK tyre technology and reliability was less in those days ) .

Bizarrely , I was once glad of my two spare wheels when , coming down the A9 between Dunkeld and Perth , I suffered punctures to both near side wheels , along with several others - then we discovered that someone had spilled a load of nails along the carriageway .
There was one other chap with two punctures ( another victim gave him a lift into Perth with his flat , to get it mended ) , and several with just one - fortunately I was able to replace both of mine and drive on , reporting the incident to the police when I got to Perth , as this was before the days of mobile phones .

Jimbob, you're the one with the car so I don't want to doubt you, but i'm sure when I looked in the boot of one of these it only had about 2/3 of the space normally needed for a spare.
I'd get the tape measure out if I were you and check how much space you have there.
Have checked space in boot ,No room for spare wheel.Jimbob.

Space Saver

I have just bought a Space Saver from e-bay for £70, you can get them cheaper though.

I had to use my space saver wheel a couple of years ago, had to drive from Bristol to Southampton and return, 160mile ish, so contacted MB regarding how far I could travel on a space saver. I was told that within the 50mph speed limit, there is no distance restriction on space saver wheels and tyres.

Have checked space in boot ,No room for spare wheel.Jimbob.

In that case definately worth buying a couple of cans of the aerosol gunk, easier to use and less messy than the provided solution of pump and can.

I have just bought a Space Saver from e-bay for £70, you can get them cheaper though.

I gave mine away to a pal who runs Mercedes wheels on his trailer ( to use as a spare for that ) .

Local scrappies around here usually sell wheels ( either steel or alloy , with tyres ) for around £25 , unless very expensive alloys or huge sizes .

I had to use my space saver wheel a couple of years ago, had to drive from Bristol to Southampton and return, 160mile ish, so contacted MB regarding how far I could travel on a space saver. I was told that within the 50mph speed limit, there is no distance restriction on space saver wheels and tyres.

The one I had , had both a speed and distance limit printed on it , and I think there was something in the handbook about it too .

An old mate of mine had a space saver on a Ford Probe and actually wore it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom