Space saver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merlin1

Car
C200 eq
Just bought space saver wheel and jack kit for my W205, notice the wheel not balanced, is this normal for a space saver?

My space saver in the W204 isn't balanced. It's for emergencies only and you're not allowed to go above 50mph anyway - wheel balancing isn't so much of an issue at lower speeds. Make sure it's up to proper pressure as it needs about 65psi IIRC.

Did you get a set of wheel bolts as well? Different length to those for the alloys.

Did you get a set of wheel bolts as well? Different length to those for the alloys.
I don't think this is always the case with later models. My wife's R171 has a separate pack of shorter bolts for use with the spacesaver, but my W204 nor either of my W212's have had the shorter bolts.

grumpyoldgit said:
Had a W203 that had a separate set of bolts, also had a W204 bolts same length for alloys and spare. So don't see why W205 would have separate bolts.

If it's a steel spacesaver then it will need shorter bolts. If it's a newer alloy spacesaver then normally they are designed to use the same bolts.

V12 said:
If it's a steel spacesaver then it will need shorter bolts. If it's a newer alloy spacesaver then normally they are designed to use the same bolts.
Well my old W204 had steel spacesaver and did not require shorter bolts. Just looked in W205 manual no mention of using shorter bolts.

Last edited:
Seems to vary a lot. My W211 has steel spacesaver and uses same bolts.

where did you get the w205 space saver spare? cost? does it fit in boot recess?
Thanks

First thing I did when I got the S203 was to get rid of the space saver and got a full size spare , which fits perfectly in the well ( otherwise where would you put a punctured wheel ? )

A brand new steel wheel was only £50 from the dealers , then got a set of five matching new tyres .

I think space savers should be illegal and cringe at the thought of driving on one .

It certainly used to be law that both tyres on an axle had to be the same size .

Dont particularly like space savers but they are are certainly better than no spare, dont think a full size spare would fit under the boot floor

Does the space saver make the steering "wonky"?

Had to put the spare on my car after being caught up in some issues that involved me having to drive on the rim (front wheel) having out on the spare, the steering isn't straight.

Wondered if I have done damage to steering geometry or if it's just the actual spare wheel.

Thanks guys

Driving on the space saver is likely to have some effect on steering (if fitted at the front), though when I last needed to drive with a space saver at the front (5 miles in normal city traffic) there was no noticible difference to steering.

So I think it also depends how fast you drive - as said when driving normally at speeds of 20-30mph the steering did not feel unusual.

But have you used the special shorter wheel bolts that are supplied with the space saver?

Make sure the spacesaver is at the correct pressure.
Is the car pulling towards the side with the spacesaver or away from it?
The car should go straight if the steering wheel is straight, if not then you will need alignment.

First thing I did when I got the S203 was to get rid of the space saver and got a full size spare , which fits perfectly in the well ( otherwise where would you put a punctured wheel ? )

A brand new steel wheel was only £50 from the dealers , then got a set of five matching new tyres .

I think space savers should be illegal and cringe at the thought of driving on one .

It certainly used to be law that both tyres on an axle had to be the same size .

If your car has a staggered setup (as both of ours do) you'd have to carry two spares though :)

Our S203 has a steel space saver (which I've used once - at the front - without any problem), and the R129 has a 16" 8-hole alloy as the spare. The Vito has a 'full size' 16" steel spare, but the tyre width is different to the factory 17" alloys.

where did you get the w205 space saver spare? cost? does it fit in boot recess?
Thanks

Hi,

Here's something I posted on this subject previously, hope it helps. The space saver wheel does not fit in the boot recess though.

Hi,

I thought it may be useful to pass on the following information. For those looking to buy a spare wheel and jack for the W205, in place of the compressor and foam. The jack is listed as part number:

A2055800000 £109.08

However a complete kit consisting of the jack, wheel brace, chock and gloves can be found under part number:

B66850788 £63.00

My dealership expressed surprise at the cost of the complete kit but it is listed in the accessories catalogue. It was meant to be 15 days back order from Germany but they got it for me in about 6 days in the end.

The emergency spare wheel is listed under part number:

Space saver wheel A2054000100 £236.52

Sizing from the handbook shows:

"Minispare" emergency spare wheel

Tyres Light-alloy wheels
T 135/80 R17 103 M
Tyre pressure: 420 kPa (4.2 bar/61 psi)
3.5 B x 17 H2 ET 19.5

However I managed to get a 'new' second hand wheel of the same specs for £70 including delivery. Once I started searching for the wheel by size and not part number, there were several available. I'm assuming these will be off a different model but as long as they are exactly the same specification, I am happy to use it.

My W205 is the Sport version with 17" wheels, so the information above may not be relevant if you are running bigger wheels, you would need to check.

Hope this helps.

I'm trying to think when I last had a puncture. Certainly not in the last 21 years as I know the spare wheel on my 190e was never used. I carted the additional weight around for 21 years and a lot of miles. So I have mixed feelings about a spare wheel. I think I would still like a spare but I'd be happy with a space saver especially if it was lighter. As for the speed restriction of 50MPH that wouldn't bother me as who would want to drive faster on a spare full size or otherwise if the rubber was 21 years old or even 10 years old or perhaps even 6 years old.

Everything was correct. Pressure and bolts. I'll have to get a tyre on the rim and just hope I've not don't too much damage to anything

So as the W205 has no recess for any sort of tyre I guess you have filled your boot with the spare wheel?

My son who has done £8000 miles of motoring in his new car has had two punctures in the same tyre. ouch

Last edited:
Run on flat tyres work for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom