Spain Train CRASH Near Santiago De Compostela

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Spain Train Crash Near Santiago De Compostela. It would appear some of carriages derailed first rather than the engine unit. WARNING FAIRLY EXPLICT VIDEO

[YOUTUBE HD]oH_IjAxDwLo[/YOUTUBE HD]

It's a miracle that everyone on board was not killed

That is a truly frightening few seconds of film.

Iv read that one of the drivers of it has been bragging about his speed, so he'll have some explaining to do !

LAst I heard the driver was in hospital under armed guard until he was well enough to give a statement to the police

Under Spanish law, his legal status is that he is suspected of being involved in 79 counts of reckless homicide but has not been formally charged yet. Released pending further investigations but must appear before a court once a week and is not allowed to leave Spain without permission. His licence to drive a train has been suspended!!

It's hard to understand how this could have happened, i'm assuming at the very least there were driver warnings of speed (which were ignored). And it's not like he was going a little too fast, he was double the speed. Unless the driver was a psycho with a plan to go out with a bang and take as many with him as he could...

Allegedly, he was on facebook bragging about the speed at the time of the crash. 120mph in a 50mph limit.
I suspect the drivers compete on speed round these bends.
At least they now know just how fast they can go.

............I suspect the drivers compete on speed round these bends............

Well, the animal cruelty bleeding hearts brigade have stopped the "bull run" in almost every town in Spain, and these type of idiots need to compete on something to show their machismo.... a particularly important thing to Spanish men.

So..... 79 humans killed, or a few bulls killed. Before you choose, remember that bulls are killed for their meat anyway, and there were just 15 deaths in Pamplona since 1910.... that's less than 1 every 6 years

Last edited:
Allegedly, he was on facebook bragging about the speed at the time of the crash. 120mph in a 50mph limit.
I suspect the drivers compete on speed round these bends.
At least they now know just how fast they can go.

Wonder if this sort of thing goes on in the UK?

I read a few years ago the long distance Pendilino stylie trains are GPS enabled and the doors won't open until the computer thinks it is in a platform etc so you would hope there is some sort of monitoring/control of speed.

I bet there aren't any of these systems on the old fashioned local 2 carriage type diesel trains though.

Well, the animal cruelty bleeding hearts brigade have stopped the "bull run" in almost every town in Spain, and these type of idiots need to compete on something to show their machismo.... a particularly important thing to Spanish men.

So..... 79 humans killed, or a few bulls killed. Before you choose, remember that bulls are killed for their meat anyway, and there were just 15 deaths in Pamplona since 1910.... that's less than 1 every 6 years

animal cruelty for fun ...
or speeding ...

could I not have either?

but if I had to choose one then the odd train accident reflects better upon Spanish civilization.

Part of the problem would appear to be that certain sections of track have been upgraded for high speed trains but certain sections have not. This means drivers have to slow down while negotiating these sections which in this case obviously didn't happen. There should also be automated speed monitoring systems which should take over train control if certain speeds are exceeded on certain sections of track as there are in the UK. Apparently this section of track had not been upgraded to the latest system. Sounds as if there may soon be more railway employees "higher up the food chain" in the firing line besides the driver. Spain train crash: Expert baffled why safety system did not slow down Spanish train - Telegraph

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Train_Control_System

Last edited:
A dreadful business.

I am a regular visitor to Santiago and I know people there, it was a dreadful shock

I see that there is a report of another train crash in Switzerland. Head on apparently.

I see that there is a report of another train crash in Switzerland. Head on apparently.

Fortunately a much lower death toll... 1 (the driver) killed and 35 injured.

Taking into account the 1997 Pendolino crash near Grayrigg, I am forced to wonder why so many died in Spain... is the train's design in some way to blame? I know that RB praised the Pendolino's sturdiness.....

Fortunately a much lower death toll... 1 (the driver) killed and 35 injured.

Taking into account the 1997 Pendolino crash near Grayrigg, I am forced to wonder why so many died in Spain... is the train's design in some way to blame? I know that RB praised the Pendolino's sturdiness.....
I guess a human being has quite a lot of momentum at 120mph, couple that with no safety harness and you can guess the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom