Spare bulbs in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrrco

MB Enthusiast
Car
X218 CLS500 AMG BlueEfficiency Sport Shooting Brake - name almost as long as the car... & W202 C200
We're off on our annual pilgrimage in a couple of weeks and, going through my checklist, I was reminded that it is compulsory to carry a spare bulb kit at all times.

My W212 has LEDs everywhere including the ILS set up at the front, so a "universal" spare bulb kit wouldn't contain any bulbs which would actually fit the car.

Anyone come across this and know if there's a "correct" answer to the issue?

I don't know the correct answer but I would suggest carrying a bulb kit to stay legal, and call Mobilo if your LEDs actually fail!

I have a S212 and holiday in France most years. As stated above I just have a spare bulb kit in the car. A few fit but I don't carry any spare xenon bulbs for the main headlights. I've never been stopped so can't say I'm strictly legal.

I've never bothered.

I recall that the law states that it's illegal to drive with a bulb out so it's not so much about having a spare but using one if the need arises.

That's not the reason that I've never bothered, I'm just a nob that way.

Modern Mercedes models will automatically use a substitute lamp should one fail.

I too holiday regularly in France, just recently back. If you need car parts whilst out there seek out a Norauto branch, they are an independent factor/retailer with service area too, it's like Halfords on steroids. They carry so much kit on the shelf (of course all the French cars, German and Swedish too) and have got for me genuine MB parts for my old ML within a day, did a Aircon recharge couple of years back for €20. Did see last week when in a Brittany branch they had replacement LEDs, halogen, and even Xenon bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want bulbs , go to the Netherlands - they have fields full of them there .

I've got a Halfords spare bulb kit in the SLK, I know the headlight bulbs are wrong for certain (mine are Xenons) but it does say "Mercedes SLK" on the back of the packet. If ever I get pulled on the continent, I'm going to point at that and plead ignorance. I've shown willing - better than driving around with no spares bulbs at all..

Cheers,

Gaz

Did the same this year. I had a spare bulb kit in a Volvo box (genuine) but as I have xenons it would have been no use as the were no xenon bulbs in the kit. It satisfied the wording of the law.

This whole spare bulb thing is a crock of merde. Even on an ancient Vauxhall Omega with a straight 6 BMW engine in it ,to change the L/H headlight bulb meant removing the battery.

It is almost physically impossible to carry replacement BiXenon lamps with you , let alone fit them on the side of the road. What about new LED and more to the point LASER hadlamps (now available) . Stupid ancient rules used to extort money from UK drivers in France.

HiViz for each occupant ? must be in the car (not boot), fire extinguisher. Breathalyser....really ?

Complete Crap. I agree with Gaz_l . fill your car with all sorts of pseudo safety stuff and just drive.

This whole spare bulb thing is a crock of merde. Even on an ancient Vauxhall Omega with a straight 6 BMW engine in it ,to change the L/H headlight bulb meant removing the battery.

It is almost physically impossible to carry replacement BiXenon lamps with you , let alone fit them on the side of the road. What about new LED and more to the point LASER hadlamps (now available) . Stupid ancient rules used to extort money from UK drivers in France.

HiViz for each occupant ? must be in the car (not boot), fire extinguisher. Breathalyser....really ?

Complete Crap. I agree with Gaz_l . fill your car with all sorts of pseudo safety stuff and just drive.

Difficult to argue with hi-vis IMHO

tool

Jut back from 1700 mile journey round France.

Saw several cars stranded at the side of the road and oddly enough the Brits were always wearing the hi vis vest things and the French almost never were. Funny that.

I still took an AA bulb kit, 4 x hi vis vests & breathalisers.

I've been pulled by French plod a few times and the last thing I'd want to do is give them a reason to extort even more money from me.

While I don't carry a breathalyser ( no need for it ) , I do carry spare lamps and fuses , poly belt , can of tyreweld , socket set , fire extinguisher , petrol can , hi-viz , tow rope , jump leads , first aid kit , and probably a few other items I've forgotten .

None of the above is carried because the law says I have to , but because they might be useful in an emergency , or indeed to help another motorist , which I have done on many occasions .

Most of that stuff fits into nooks and crannies , either under the boot floor beside the spare wheel , or in the side wells , so doesn't impact on carrying capacity .

Re the Frenchie hi-viz rule - as long as one is in the car , someone can don it then go round to the boot and get the others for everyone else before they get out of the car .

Re the Frenchie hi-viz rule - as long as one is in the car , someone can don it then go round to the boot and get the others for everyone else before they get out of the car .

This is today's Top Tip :)

Just my top tip - seems common sense - but may not get the 'concorde' of the Gendarmerie ....

It's the best kind of correct; technically correct. - Nobody else gets out until they've been brought their Hi-Vis; if they don't need to get out, they don't need the vest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom