Spark plug mix and match

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hi guys,

I need to have my spark plugs changed on my V6, (12 plugs)

Kindly a member of the forum sent me the P/N for my plugs using EPC (to my Vin)

I saw an auction on eBay for 6 genuine MB plugs, brand new in the box. So I put in a bid and won them at £15 delivered (like to eBay auction, please see pics: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172711045877)

I then ordered the remaining 6 at MB Edinburgh they processed the order using my reg. and got them for £49.23 again delivered next day (excellent service by the way)

My question is..

The ones from eBay are manufactured in 2009 and are made in USA, p/n is A0041595003
(Photo from listing)
IMG_0951.jpg

The ones from the dealer are manufactured this year and made in Japan, they arrived today however the p/n is A0031599403

IMG_0950.jpg

How can these numbers be different? I havnt got the eBay ones in person yet but they look identical.. the p/n I got was from the EPC from my Vin.. I then pasted this into eBay and ordered

MB just did it via my reg

Both of them have a different p/n and the ones from eBay are made in USA in 2009 and the MB ones in Japan...

My engine is a M112 3.2L V6 (2003)

Can anyone help?

Cheers
Abs

IMG_0952.jpg

Update: this is the EPC

Both part numbers are shown ?

Would it be okay to fit 6 of each? How can there be 2 parts for the same Vin?

Thanks

Also I must thank both Bob and MarkJay for always helping me out with EPC :)

Last edited:
I imagine that the different MB numbers simply reflect a different manufacturer/country of origin. Your 2 part nos are listed as "optional" with each other rather than "replaced by" which might be relevant-- irrc the first plugs were multi electrode and replaced by the later fine tipped iridium plugs which resist fouling better. Because these twin plugs [ single exhaust valve twin inlet valve "dual flame front" heads had better emissions] fire simultaneously I would do as your title suggests one of each plug type-older/newer in each cylinder. :dk:

MB don't make spark plugs so are there any other markings on the plugs themselves e.g. if they were made by a NGK or Bosch is there a type number. In fact if there is a type number it will tell you who made the plugs because each manufacturer uses a recognisable numbering system. What the type number can also tell you is the heat range. In principle if the heat range is the same for both sets of plugs there should be no problem using them.

Hi guys

So as both of the p/n are current and not 'replaced' in thinking it should Be ok

Why not fit one set for 3 cylinders and another for the other 3. That way they don't interfere with each other

Shouldn't they be identical anyway?

I may just order another 6 from MB if it'll be an issue to be honest

As 190 says the important thing is they are the correct heat range. People have been known to run their engines on Heinz 57 variety plugs from different manufacturers but as long as they are the correct spec/heat range for the engine there are generally no ill effects. As they are both listed in the EPC under your vin there should be no problem. If there are minor differences my set up has the advantage of making every cylinder the same but to be honest any difference is highly unlikely

As 190 says the important thing is they are the correct heat range. People have been known to run their engines on Heinz 57 variety plugs from different manufacturers but as long as they are the correct spec/heat range for the engine there are generally no ill effects. As they are both listed in the EPC under your vin there should be no problem. If there are minor differences my set up has the advantage of making every cylinder the same but to be honest any difference is highly unlikely

Hi Grober

As they list both under EPC I hope as you say they will be fine

Neither have been 'replaced'

When the Ines from ebay arrive I'll give them a proper 'side by side' comparison and then update this

I wish I'd sent MB the actual p/n instead of the registration.. I thought there would only be one type :(

Cheers
Abs

I've also emailed Mercedes to inquire about this.

As long as they are all listed under your VIN they will be fine.

Even if they were replaced by, it just means a supplier change (as mentioned) or modification. I always try and go for the most recent number if possible

1. Each of the two type of plugs will have the plug manufacturer's and part number (not MB) stamped on it. If you can post a photo of these then it would be easy to see who is the actual manufacturer and what are the spark plug's spec for this model.

2. Not a good idea to order parts from MB based on the car's reg.... always better to do your homework first then order the items you need based on the MB part number you want.

3. Said that.... as others said, as long as EPC says it's OK, then it will be fine to use the plugs you currently have.

1. Each of the two type of plugs will have the plug manufacturer's and part number (not MB) stamped on it. If you can post a photo of these then it would be easy to see who is the actual manufacturer and what are the spark plug's spec for this model.

2. Not a good idea to order parts from MB based on the car's reg.... always better to do your homework first then order the items you need based on the MB part number you want.

3. Said that.... as others said, as long as EPC says it's OK, then it will be fine to use the plugs you currently have.

Hi MarkJay,

When I get the others tomorrow I will take a photo of them properly

Regards
Abs

Just to clear this up, They are a superseded Part number,

They are the same plug, They are Platnium long life plugs, Both Number's X refer to the correct Bosch plug

Which is: 024 223 0500
Trade code: +45

Out. Thr.:14, Thr. L.:19, Thr. Pitch:1.25,
Bosch torque for the plug is 28nm

Hope the above helps, You only have to ask btw ;)

Last edited:
Looking it up on the Internet (not conclusive):

A 003 159 94 03 = NGK PFR5R-11 https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9913

A 004 159 50 03 = Champion KC10PYPB4 Federal-Mogul Motorparts

So it seems that it is the same spec of plug but made by different OE manufacturers (i.e. one made in Japan by NGK, the other make in the USA by Champion) .

Last edited:
Just to clear this up, They are a superseded Part number,

They are the same plug, They are Platnium long life plugs, Both Number's X refer to the correct Bosch plug

Which is: 024 223 0500
Trade code: +45

Out. Thr.:14, Thr. L.:19, Thr. Pitch:1.25,
Bosch torque for the plug is 28nm

Hope the above helps, You only have to ask btw ;)

Cheers Gav!

Thanks for clearing this up, so these can be fitted as if they were identical? Why would MB Change the number haha how annoying!

Anyways cheers for clearing it up

Abs

Sorry Gav I'm just so confused right now lol

so I'm your opinion do I get these fitted? If so in any specific format such as 1 each per cylinder?

Would you fit them to your car?
Cheers

They will be fine to fit, They will fit and function as intended.

But id only Fit a "Complete set" from the Same Manufacture if it was mine as i'm abit funny like that lol.

12 of either number would be ok for me. (sorry you did ask lol)

Last edited:
They will be fine to fit, They will fit and function as intended.

But id only Fit a "Complete set" from the Same Manufacture if it was mine as i'm abit funny like that lol.

12 of either number would be ok for me. (sorry you did ask lol)

Arghhhh :D

I'm pretty much the same to be honest... want everything to be perfect lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom