Speeding tickets/fines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thewinelake

Car
Skoda Superb MkIII (Hatchback SE Business)
Just wondering if anyone here has had (or heard of) one of these new style speeding tickets and fines based on income?

Also, what's the scoop on minor infringements lower than the 10%+2 ACPO guidelines - has that changed? I can see that there'd be a lot of money to be made (in the short term, at least) for fining motorway driving at 71 mph, but would have thought such a change in reality would have made the news.

What did your friend "Dave" get done for Alex?

What did your friend "Dave" get done for Alex?

Ha! Most of my friends seem to be called Charles...

I did drive past a van the other day and it got me wondering. The North Circular Road near us has a new average speed thing and so everybody now drives at 50mph (give or take) on this section, in all 3 lanes, which is oddly disconcerting.

This was discussed many months ago on this forum. I simply asked how would they determine the level of a fine for a company director who pays him/herself minimum wage but takes one or two big dividends a year from their Ltd company.

Can't remember if the answer ever came. The whole thing is probably unworkable in the UK.

This was discussed many months ago on this forum. I simply asked how would they determine the level of a fine for a company director who pays him/herself minimum wage but takes one or two big dividends a year from their Ltd company.

Can't remember if the answer ever came. The whole thing is probably unworkable in the UK.

SA302 I guess.

Just wondering if anyone here has had (or heard of) one of these new style speeding tickets and fines based on income?

Also, what's the scoop on minor infringements lower than the 10%+2 ACPO guidelines - has that changed?
Fines: It only affects cases that go to Court, so that would be either a speed in excess of the Fixed Penalty (FPN) range or if the driver pleads Not Guilty or they fail to meet the administrative conditions for a FPN (e.g. they fail to surrender their Licence).

Infractions up to 10% + 9mph will normally attract an offer of a Speed Awareness Course (aka the retired police officer pension top-up scheme).

Infractions lower than 10% + 2mph will not normally attract any sanction at all (although they could).

So the big change was in terms of court sentencing/fines and any conflation with tolerance of minor infringements is a figment of my paranoia?

HOW FAR OVER THE SPEED LIMIT DO YOU NEED TO BE TO GET A 150 PER CENT of your weekly salary FINE

20mph zone – Driver going 41mph and above
30mph zone – Driver going 51mph and above
40mph zone – Driver going 66mph and above
50mph zone – Driver going 76 mph and above
60mph zone – Driver going 91mph and above
70mph zone – Driver going 101mph and above

There is a cap on the fine. A very famous footballer was convicted of speeding in this area a few months ago and his fine was 'just' £10,000.

So the big change was in terms of court sentencing/fines and any conflation with tolerance of minor infringements is a figment of my paranoia?
Correct.

Every now and then some numpty from North Wales Constabulary (I think it must be a legacy of Bumstorm's days) starts spouting about "zero tolerance" but the practicalities of enacting that sort of policy mean that it never happens.

What is? Doing 101mph on the motorway? :confused:
Well, that's the least silly one. Trouble is that these are all dependent on traffic and weather conditions, but I would expect to be hit with a fine or even a ban for doing over 100 - however mad that might be...

HOW FAR OVER THE SPEED LIMIT DO YOU NEED TO BE TO GET A 150 PER CENT of your weekly salary FINE

20mph zone – Driver going 41mph and above
30mph zone – Driver going 51mph and above
40mph zone – Driver going 66mph and above
50mph zone – Driver going 76 mph and above
60mph zone – Driver going 91mph and above
70mph zone – Driver going 101mph and above

41 in 20 should be a ban. these 20mph zones are there for a reason such as elderly people crossing or schools/built up areas. even 30mph can seem too fast in these areas. It only takes a child to run out........

My local borough is going over to a flat 20 mph limit including dual carriageways that were previously 50 mph - figure that :)

Correct.

Every now and then some numpty from North Wales Constabulary (I think it must be a legacy of Bumstorm's days) starts spouting about "zero tolerance" but the practicalities of enacting that sort of policy mean that it never happens.

Oh yes it does.
I was done for doing 52 in a 50 going thru Colwyn Bay on the A55 three months ago.
The 10% + 2/3mph has long gone.
It depends on the mood the traffic officers in.
I argued my case asking for evidence, it turned up in photographic form, time, date, speed etc.
Offering me three points and £100 fine or court.
I paid up

My local borough is going over to a flat 20 mph limit including dual carriageways that were previously 50 mph - figure that :)

And you'll remember next election time exactly which members voted for that , won't you ...

Oh yes it does.
I was done for doing 52 in a 50 going thru Colwyn Bay on the A55 three months ago.
The 10% + 2/3mph has long gone.
It depends on the mood the traffic officers in.
I argued my case asking for evidence, it turned up in photographic form, time, date, speed etc.
Offering me three points and £100 fine or court.
I paid up
Wise decision to take the FPN.

And thanks for the heads up so that I have another reason to never visit North Wales ;)

Wise decision to take the FPN.

And thanks for the heads up so that I have another reason to never visit North Wales ;)

The A55 has more than its fair share of traffic officers patrolling.
Quite often see a convoy of police cars on blues nailing it around St Asaph or Rhyl.
Had one overtake me last Thursday evening.
It's a training area for Convoy Protection Courses.

I'll be coming along the A55 from Bangor to England on Thursday afternoon in the E320 I've just collected. I was going to ask if North Wales police were still petty speeding-obsessed, but perhaps I'll just keep it down to the legal limit. Has to be a first for everything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom