Spring Clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
As it was forecast to be nice and sunny today, I decided it was time to give the car a decent clean after winter and catch up on a couple of jobs that needed doing.

A good wash with Meg's Gold Class shampoo and rinsed off with a hosepipe saw the car ready for job # 1. The cloudy headlights needed attention. I have tried the Megs 1 step kit, the 3M kit which was definitely better, and the old method of 1200, 2000 and 2500 wet and dry, but still not happy as the lights were never sealed properly afterwards.

So this is the state of the lights before stating with a new product on the market, Meguiars 2 step headlight restoration kit at £30 a pop.
20170313_105904_zpsmtdoowsn.jpg

20170313_105916_zpsmcplzayh.jpg

It took around 30 minutes with a drill, pad and plastic polish to bring them up to a respectable condition, followed by spraying what I guess is a clear lacquer on the lens. This is the result.
20170313_113616_zps9nmif0uu.jpg

20170313_113606_zps0mps4sya.jpg

Happy with that, I then washed and rinsed the car again, and dried it with microfibre towels. Then I gave it a coat of Autoglym SRP which is a polish I find easy to apply and gives a decent finish on a silver car.
Then it was time for a waxing, so I finished off the bottle of Farcla G3 Wax and finally a coat of Sonax BDS.

After lunch, it was time to tackle the rusty centres of the front Brembo discs I had put on last June. Removed all the rust and gave them a coat of Hammerite Smooth Silver paint. Whilst the paint was drying, the wheels had a deep clean and I waxed the insides with the Farcla G3 wax and sprayed on some Sonax BDS to hopefully help remove the brake dust next time.
20170313_161137_zps1ukx9qs6.jpg

Finally the wheels were replaced and dressed with Megs Tyre gel (the purple one) and sprayed with Autoglym wheel protector which helps keep the dust down. Took me from 8 15 this morning until 5 45pm so I put in a good shift.

Not long got out of the shower and I ache like mad:p
Stupid me forgot to take a pic of the finished article, so that will be tomorrow.

Sounds like a busy day, Rog :thumb:

I spent yesterday afternoon washing my E63 and Angie's SLK55. By the time I got to work this morning, due to various trucks kicking up spray from muddy puddles en route, my car looked like I hadn't bothered. Then I looked at Angie's car when she arrived home to find that a bird has carped all over the bonnet :doh:

Toothpaste would have saved you a few quid for the lights

Do you find it's a bit cold for painting calipers, i want to paint mine but thought it was a bit cold at the moment?

Good work AMGeed!!

I used the same kit to bring my headlights back to life on my W211. Looked exactly like yours and with a bit of sanding and re-coating, looked loads better. Plus there's plenty of lacquer in that kit to re-do them if necessary.

Do you find it's a bit cold for painting calipers, i want to paint mine but thought it was a bit cold at the moment?

It was pretty warm yesterday afternoon (15c) and the paint was touch dry in under an hour. Plenty of time to attend to the wheel and a have brew before tackling the other side:thumb:

As it was forecast to be nice and sunny today, I decided it was time to give the car a decent clean after winter and catch up on a couple of jobs that needed doing.

A good wash with Meg's Gold Class shampoo and rinsed off with a hosepipe saw the car ready for job # 1. The cloudy headlights needed attention. I have tried the Megs 1 step kit, the 3M kit which was definitely better, and the old method of 1200, 2000 and 2500 wet and dry, but still not happy as the lights were never sealed properly afterwards.

So this is the state of the lights before stating with a new product on the market, Meguiars 2 step headlight restoration kit at £30 a pop.

It took around 30 minutes with a drill, pad and plastic polish to bring them up to a respectable condition, followed by spraying what I guess is a clear lacquer on the lens. This is the result.

Happy with that, I then washed and rinsed the car again, and dried it with microfibre towels. Then I gave it a coat of Autoglym SRP which is a polish I find easy to apply and gives a decent finish on a silver car.
Then it was time for a waxing, so I finished off the bottle of Farcla G3 Wax and finally a coat of Sonax BDS.

After lunch, it was time to tackle the rusty centres of the front Brembo discs I had put on last June. Removed all the rust and gave them a coat of Hammerite Smooth Silver paint. Whilst the paint was drying, the wheels had a deep clean and I waxed the insides with the Farcla G3 wax and sprayed on some Sonax BDS to hopefully help remove the brake dust next time.

Finally the wheels were replaced and dressed with Megs Tyre gel (the purple one) and sprayed with Autoglym wheel protector which helps keep the dust down. Took me from 8 15 this morning until 5 45pm so I put in a good shift.

Stupid me forgot to take a pic of the finished article, so that will be tomorrow.

Certainly worth all the effort nice one :thumb:

I had higher hopes for the meggy purple tyre gel, only lasted a day and my tyres went back to normal, What do you use to apply it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had higher hopes for the meggy purple tyre gel, only lasted a day and my tyres went back to normal, What do you use to apply it?

I squirt a blob onto a small piece of muslin cloth and wipe that around the tyre.
Stays on for about a week I find:dk:

I used to use a foam applicator but now I put
it on with a paint brush seems to last a lot longer

looking good Rog, the headlights came up well!

Hmmm!! We don't do nudity not even of a finished article(s) do we?
quote:Not long got out of the shower and I ache like mad:p
Stupid me forgot to take a pic of the finished article, so that will be tomorrow.:bannana:

Nail brush and only apply a little. How long it lasts depends on the weather, dry summer conditions perhaps a week or so, in the wet, washes off very quick, day - 2 days...

Nail brush and only apply a little. How long it lasts depends on the weather, dry summer conditions perhaps a week or so, in the wet, washes off very quick, day - 2 days...

It did pee down after I used it. I'll try again, now it's brightened up

Looking lovely the car AMGeed.

I done my headlights today with the meguires kit they come up very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom