Spring Compressor and Ball joint press

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris clk320

Car
CLK 320 conv. W124 e220 coup
Hello All,

I am contemplating changing the ball joints myself, quite handy with a spanner and fancy a go.

Firstly, I need a spring compressor. Clearly there is the Klann tool at one end of the price spectrum at the other there are the kits such as the ones on ebay and amazon about £60-£70.00 and in the middle is the Laser tools kit at about £200.00. The Klann one is out of the question unless by some miracle one crops up on ebay. I just wondered if any members have any views or experience with any of these others.

Secondly, I have seen many ball joint installers and removers but none that specifically say W124, most seem to be for later E class W211 and CL's

All the best and thanks.

Chris

Thanks for the link but that type of spring compressor scares the "be jesus" out of me. Like juggling a grenade.
I will use the plate type like Spring compressor for Mercedes McPherson MB W124 W140 W170 W201 W202 W208 W210 | eBay
but just wondered if members have used the different price points?

The conventional, simple type in #2 are not up to the job at all on an MB.

I have one of those cheap 'Klann copies' off Ebay and it's well made.

As for ball joint splitters, I bought one from Machine Mart recently.
It looked ideal for the job on my 210, as pickle forks don't fit well and/or damage the boot. It was an ideal fit and was only around £10.

Not sure about ball joint removers. I don't need them on the cars I have.

You are welcome to borrow them if you're prepared to travel round to the other side of the M25.

Last edited:
The conventional, simple type in #2 are not up to the job at all on an MB.

Not used them on the Merc, but in what way are they not suitable?

I borrowed a high quality pair of the conventional type of spring compressors and changed the spring on a 190e. It was a nightmare and I wouldn't use that type again on an inboard spring. I never felt them to be unsafe but access was too difficult and inboard springs are stronger than the strut type so just compressing the spring was very hard work. I guess that hard work would apply to the plate type too but at least they are designed for the job.

Changed front struts on my BMW e39 recently. We had to use 4 spring compressors on each spring. Nightmare job. They were never the correct length wound in or out. This meant using one pair to wind in, then the second pair to complete the wind in. Get the best you can. If they let go you could be killed. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Used the same type you linked to in post 3 on our W211/W212 with no problems.

Not used them on the Merc, but in what way are they not suitable?

I thought as much. Although I can see you were trying to be helpful, this is not new info!

As 190 says, they just don't fit the tightly coiled, long, in-board springs present on the older MBs; 123/126/124/202/210 etc.

They become 'coil-bound' and can't compress enough for spring removal, as 5 or 6 coils need to to be almost completely flattened to allow the spring to be removed.

And thus these basic compressors slip. Or break / distort, as they're too weak.
Best case fail, one is stuck.
Worst case - A&E.

Last edited:
Good to hear the lower end klann copies are upto the job, they certainly look like a better bit of kit and from watching some of the youtube videos those springs take some compressing.
I have a ball joint splitter, I have lost count how many times I wacked hell out of the joint and used heat to get them out and hoowwww much easier is it with a splitter. A must have in my opinion.
#However, compressing the spring is only a part of replacing the lower ball joint as I need to press it out. You see these on ebay Mercedes W163 W164 W220 W211 W230 Master Ball Joint Press Remover Installer Too | eBay
But they are very specific to certain mercs and not W124?s it seems to me that the diameter of the pressing ring is the key? So it maybe I have to buy one like these and then custom make a ring?
Any help greatly received.
A111r many thanks for the offer I may well take you up on that if I can figure out the pressing side of the job.
Thanks All

Ask an indie how they do it?

I wouldn't trust that those 'g-clamp' kits were up to it.
If he says not, then take the LCAs to a suitably equipped indie and get him to press them out?

I must admit I was hoping to leave the LCA in place as the inner bushings look OK and I have a policy of if it isn't broke don't fix it!
But you may be right it will take a fair bit of force to press them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom