Steering damper - how important is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BorisRusafov

Car
1993 320E W124
My 93 W124 320E feels a bit twitchy at speed, and requires quite some concentration driving fast, not the relaxed experience I'd become accustomed to in previous Mercs. I have changed quite a bit on my front suspension - new wishbones with ballpoints and front anti-roll bushes. Could it be that the front steering damper might need replacing - it's 21 the 21year-old original part.
Thanks.

If it's 21 years old it will be shot by now. They're cheap to buy (were around £20 a few years back) and easy to replace (one bolt at either end)

Usually they leak oil out and go weak - easy to move up/down, so that wouldn't help your symptoms of twitchiness.

Replace it and report back, I suspect it will help :)

Could well be the damper but also likely that you have excess play in one or more of the components from steering box to ball joints.

As JAY says likely to be one or more of the 6 ball joints in the front steering linkage. 2 on each track rod and 2 on the drag link [connecting arm] Here's a picture. [ its for a LHD V8 but you get the idea]
steering_links1.jpg

To check these you need an assistant and ideally the car up on a ramp. If the assistant rocks the steering back and forth--- not much movement is required-- just enough to tension up the joints--- and you "cup" each joint in a fist you will feel any play in the joint-- a really worn joint will show visible movement but this is a more sensitive test. Just be careful to make small steering movements to avoid getting your hands trapped anywhere. The other possibility is a worn idler arm assemby but mercedes do repair kits for them also.

ps steering damper usefull life I reckon averages around 5 years max.

Last edited:
You can adjust your steering gear in the car to remove play too, and the rear outer spring link bushes especially can make a car wonder, as does a bad wheel alignment. So many variables in a 124 but get them all correct and they are a real pleasure and quite precise to drive - believe it or not.

Also your top strut mounts - not always easy to detect cracks in these installed, if they are factory fit you know what to do....

Last edited:
As you have changed the front suspension wishbones, it is difficult to keep
the same geometry, even though you may have marked the position of the fixings prior to removing the old ones.

As you probably know, those wishbones have TWO key defining geometry
specs ie.. Camber on the front bolt; and Castor on the rear bolt; of the same wishbone.

It is difficult to get those two specs correct simultaneously, without the use of accurate measuring devices; because adjusting one of the bolts (Camber say)
has an affect on the Castor spec also (controlled by the other bolt).

The two bolts need to be adjusted in unison.

So, I suggest you take it to a professional that understands the 124 system
and ask for a full geometry (including aligning rear to front etc).

You will likely be amazed with the end result.

So, I suggest you take it to a professional that understands the 124 system
and ask for a full geometry (including aligning rear to front etc).

+1,had to do the same when I had my wishbones changed

Thanks for all the responses. To give a bit of background, the car sat in a barn SORNed for the last 13 years, and just came out of the shop after a big £5K refresh, including the aforementioned front wishbones and a professional 4-wheel alignment. All ball joints were inspected as a part of the big job, and the ones on the wishbones were the only ones recommended for replacement. And because they were fused solid and couldn't be pressed out, we got whole new wishbones. I will start with the steering damper and see how that goes. I did discuss changing all 4 struts/shocks (always install Bilstein mono tubes on my Mercs - probably un-shortened Sports in this case as the car is a Sportline) but Steve Shali from Klasse of Fulham recommended against it as the originals looked and felt good. But the front strut mounts - that's another angle I hadn't thought about. Maybe I'll go for the steering damper and a full set of Bilstein Sports and new front strut mounts and see how that changes the behaviour.

Check out those cross bushes on the rear spring link too - the outboard ones, a little bit of play there and the rear steers the car...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom