Steering feels heavy 2.7 E Class.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BelfastBill

Car
S CLASS 320 CDI
Hi all the steering feels very heavy on her E Class 2005 2.7 compared to my S class 3.2, any ideas please.

Thanks'
Bill.

My 2008 E 320 steering doesn't feel at all heavy, even in comparison to my wife's Smart which has got electric power steering.

My 2008 E 320 steering doesn't feel at all heavy, even in comparison to my wife's Smart which has got electric power steering.

The op has an E270. Your 320 has parameter steering. Parameter steering was standard on the 320 but was a cost option on the 270...so, likely doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Assuming the car does not have parameter steering, this may be normal as the W211 E-class has a relatively heavy engine.

However, you could have a fault like a stiff ball joint or bad steering rack. If you can safely jack up the front of the car you can try operating the steering lock to lock with the car in the air. If it still feels heavy you might have a mechanical problem. Have a look at the steering rack rubber gaiters too - if they are damaged then moisture and dirt will be entering your rack and destroying it.

Also, you should check the level and condition of the power steering fluid. It's fairly easy to replace the PS fluid yourself without any special tools. Buy the new fluid from the dealer (there are several types and you need the right one). Then use a poultry baster to suck out say 100ml of old fluid. Pour in the same amount of new fluid and run the engine / operate the steering from lock to lock a few times. Then repeat this until you've used all your new fluid. You won't be able to get all the old fluid out but it's a far easier method than doing a proper flush. Finally make sure you carefully set the fluid level. The dipstick is marked with different levels for hot and cold.

One last thing - check the tyre pressures. You can make the steering feel a bit lighter if you put the tyre pressures up to the pressure recommended for a "heavily loaded" car. This may be at the expense of ride quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom