Steering wheel vibration under braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
Over the last week I have noticed a vibration through the steering wheel when braking but only under light braking. I think it is likely to be a tyre slightly out of round due to the number of potholes around here as I have had this symptom before but in that case it was only at lower speeds < 20mph. It is not classic brake judder as the steering wheel noticeably vibrates in my hands and nothing is felt through the brake pedal.

There is no vibration at all at any speed when not braking so I doubt it is a balance issue but will get this checked as wellI as the tyres ,but if they are found to be OK I suspect we need to be looking at suspension components?

Bother lower torque struts have been replaced in the last 18 months by Lemforder parts, assuming these to be OK what other areas should we be looking at?

Thanks as ever.

It still could be brake judder. Jack it up and check for play in the suspension arms too.

Could failing ARB bushes cause this? They were mentioned as an advisory on the last two MOT tests but my indie thought they were still fine last year

Last edited:
DSM10000 said:
Could failing ARB bushes cause this? They were mentioned as an advisory on the last two MOT tests but my indie thought they were still fine last year

No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom