Stereo blowing fusee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dee James

Car
2003 ML 270
My 2003 ML270 has a double din JVC aftermarket stereo and every now and then the 10 amp fuse blows - any ideas?

My 2003 ML270 has a double din JVC aftermarket stereo and every now and then the 10 amp fuse blows - any ideas?

just a thought, the live is wired permanently so you have to turn the stereo off when you get out of the car, is`nt that normally the secondary live to maintain settings etc - is it possible that is the reason?

Its not wired correctly, as you say it should have a switched feed to power on/off and a perm feed for the memory. What is the rated amp's of the HU and what else is sharing that live feed?

Just had a look at the manual for my DNX9280BT, its rated at max 15amp so a 10amp would not work for me. Check your manual.

Last edited:
Its not wired correctly, as you say it should have a switched feed to power on/off and a perm feed for the memory. What is the rated amp's of the HU and what else is sharing that live feed?

Just had a look at the manual for my DNX9280BT, its rated at max 15amp so a 10amp would not work for me. Check your manual.

from memory i think it shares the feed with interior courtesy lights, a good point checking the stereo details - it was already in the car when i bought it so i will look online :thumb:

Does it blow only when you turn it up really loud (thereby using lots more power) or is it just random?
If interior lights on same circuit, does it blow when you open the door with stereo on?
May help narrow down when it actually happens?

Neil

Firstly, don't just put a bigger fuse than the wiring in or it will melt the wiring instead.

Someone hasn't bothered to run a switched feed (newer ML possibly have no switched feed on the power block) or has the switched and permanent backwards. Sort this out first and the problem may well go away as I thought radio feed was 15A (but its years since I looked on W163 ML)

I don't know whether a JVC unit tries to take its amp power from the switched or permanent feeds , but as the unit is around 4x50W it will be quite capable of drawing more than 10Amps(~120W)

Cheers

Richard

Does it blow only when you turn it up really loud (thereby using lots more power) or is it just random?
If interior lights on same circuit, does it blow when you open the door with stereo on?
May help narrow down when it actually happens?

Neil

Hi Neil,

i turn it on nothing happens so i`m not sure what`s doing it although my guess would be the actual act of turning on is the culprit

Firstly, don't just put a bigger fuse than the wiring in or it will melt the wiring instead.

Someone hasn't bothered to run a switched feed (newer ML possibly have no switched feed on the power block) or has the switched and permanent backwards. Sort this out first and the problem may well go away as I thought radio feed was 15A (but its years since I looked on W163 ML)

I don't know whether a JVC unit tries to take its amp power from the switched or permanent feeds , but as the unit is around 4x50W it will be quite capable of drawing more than 10Amps(~120W)

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard, the live feeds mixed up does sound like a possibility

i will have a look, cheers for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom