Steve C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classiccarnut

Car
Mercedes
Hi, I've just bought my first MB. I thought I'd start with something tame so I bought an R129 500 SL. It's supposed to be a weekend toy and replaces a long line of other classic cars I've owned over the years. I have restored and repaired many cars but I'm finding owning an SL a steep learning curve.

It has a couple of faults so I'll be searching the forum to see if anyone else has had the problem before I post a cry for help.

Cheers

Steve

Hi & welcome Steve, what colour is it ?

:bannana: Sherwood Forest GTG Sunday December 13th, 12 noon :bannana:

Thanks for your welcome guys.

The car is metallic red, sorry I don't know what the official MB colour is. It has light grey leather and a black hood. The bottom half has been painted to match the top as the previous owner didn't like the two tone look of the earlier cars. It also has R230 wheels and clear indicators, so it looks a lot later than it actually is. It's 1992 model. I will post a pic soon.

Cheers

Steve

Ah, a Mercedes made in the Solid years,sounds good.

It seams to be a good car, but unfortunately I can't get the ASR and ABS lights to stay out. From reading the posts throughout the forum it appears that this is a common problem. I've changed OVP relay already, the next step is changing the brake light switch and cleaning up the wheel sensors. I'll sort it in the end, it's just a bit frustrating.:crazy:

Cheers

Steve

It may just need the codes cleared via Star, I had that problem with my clk, cleared the codes and away we went!

Hi and welcome.

I've also had 'faults' that needed to be cleared by STAR. In my case low voltage at startup triggered window, rollbar, and hood errors. Nothing I could do to clear them (pulling fuses, disconnecting battery, etc.).

So might be worth getting the codes read/reset at a friendly indi. before you replace too much!

Oh, and I got a maintenance charger to keep the battery topped up :)

Hi there Steve and welcome.Pic when you get a chance please

Hi all, I could be wrong here (I quite often am) but is the car not too early (1992, R129.66) for STAR or OBD2 ?

I was told (rightly or wrongly) that disconnecting the battery would clear the fault codes on this car.

Like I say, I'm new to MB so the above could be completely wrong :doh: and I'm more than happy to bow to the experience you guys.

I've just bought a brake light switch from the main dealer, so I'll pop it on and see what happens. The ASR & ABS lights always come on just after I've braked for the first time, so fingers crossed this may fix it. :bannana:

Cheers

Steve

OK here it is
Merc1.jpg

Looks in fantastic condition, whats the mileage. I've got a 98 320, and use it as an everyday car. Love it.

It's done 105,000 miles with FSH. The engine is still as smooth as silk. The photo does flatter the condition a bit though, it has the odd scratch here and there along with a few stone chips. But at the end of the day it's a 17 year old car.

love the car and the colour looks in pretty good condition from the pic

Welcome Steve, nice to see another fellow 129 owner!

Nice colour. Interesting to see the bottom half colour coded.
For my own personal preference I would have liked to see one that colour with the lower half original. Very nice nonetheless

That does look lovely. I wouldn't call an SL500 tame though! I have one too (I am selling it - will shortly post an ad in classifieds when I've built up enough posts) and it goes like stink. It's also one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven. You'll enjoy this car!

Welcome to the forum Steve

Bonnie motor:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom