Steve Jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Design obsession

It was said that he found cheap American license plates "offensive" as a design feature on his beautiful SL55.

This is a billionaire who didn't buy a sofa and dining chairs for his own four bedroomed home because he couldn't finalise what he wanted them to be like.

Steve Jobs's Quest For Perfection Could Make Even Buying A Sofa Into A Decade-Long Ordeal | Cult of Mac

Sound a bit crazy? Remember his clothes:

steve-jobs-large.jpg

It was said that he found cheap American license plates "offensive" as a design feature on his beautiful SL55.

This is a billionaire who didn't buy a sofa and dining chairs for his own four bedroomed home because he couldn't finalise what he wanted them to be like.

Steve Jobs's Quest For Perfection Could Make Even Buying A Sofa Into A Decade-Long Ordeal | Cult of Mac

Sound a bit crazy? Remember his clothes:

steve-jobs-large.jpg

One hell of an endorsement for MB. Being "chosen"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

He should have stuck an Apple sticker on the plate - turns cheap stuff into gold...

He should have stuck an Apple sticker on the plate - turns cheap stuff into gold...
Credit it where it's due; their marketing is so good, they could sell ice to Eskimos. - I don't know if that's due to Jobs, but remember how the company tanked in the '90s when he left for a while?

Credit it where it's due; their marketing is so good, they could sell ice to Eskimos. - I don't know if that's due to Jobs, but remember how the company tanked in the '90s when he left for a while?

Yup, absolutely credit where credit's due - totally agree.

They are laughing all the way to the bank.

Interesting he leased all those new cars every six months, Target than bought. Leasing company must have loved him! Must be quite a few ex-Steve Jobs cars in circulation then, guessing they'd have fetched more than new ones

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Had he lived here , he could have had APP 1E :)

It tanked because of Steve Jobs and he was kicked out rather than left.It wasn't all rosy in the Steve Jobs Apple garden in the earlier years.

The companies he went and ran were a real mixed back as well. Some bombed, others are leaders in their field now (Pixar for example, but who remembers Next).

Apple marketing are good, they have managed to persuade a lot of people to pay premiums for what are at times products lagging behind the competitors.

However, they were innovative and build solid products when he returned so it isn't surprising when the marketing had a solid base to build on.

The companies he went and ran were a real mixed back as well. Some bombed, others are leaders in their field now (Pixar for example, but who remembers Next).

I do.

And MacOS X can trace some of its lineage back to Next.

Apple marketing are good, they have managed to persuade a lot of people to pay premiums for what are at times products lagging behind the competitors.

My view is that Jobs and his team made a leap of logic - not with the actual stuff they sell but making the backoffice services like iTunes work and the ways things interact. This is a mixture of *getting* the concept and then having the commitment to go ahead with implementing and executing it.

Music players, smart phones, tablets? Not new. But getting the whole ecosystem up and running for the consumer - that was the real trick. Jobs leveraged Apple forward using its goodwill to generate relationships and practice that suited Apple and generate yet more goodwill to leverage more.

Apple, Google, and Amazon have all leveraged a piece of the new consumer ecosystem - Microsoft has some great stuff but doesn't have the same vision or leverage - arguably it jumped too soon in the early 90s. Samsung has great kit to contribute to the ecosystem but not the services to get entry to the board room. And apparently there's still a great company out there called IBM that some of us remember.

but who remembers Next

Yup, remember Next, or rather, NeXT.

Probably have not touched one since the mid 90s at uni but I do remember 4 desktops on a single workstation.

Yup, remember Next, or rather, NeXT.

Probably have not touched one since the mid 90s at uni but I do remember 4 desktops on a single workstation.

Saw the NeXT PC at the CeBIT exhibition in Hannover in 1991... it was very impressive at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom