Stolen - Sl55 Amg Sunday After 9pm Reg 'd8ean'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
d8ean said:
Just after some extra eyes here; my SL55 was stolen sunday night from blackheath between 9 and 9.55pm

Reg is D8EAN
Black with Big Brabus wheels, if you've seen it or now of its state let me know by mail to [email protected]

also a Black CL500 was taken around the same time from Bromely, Reg 7 RAN, if you saw this on the road at around the same time or know of its whereabouts then contact me!

There is a reward!!!!!

[Original post on PH]

Not a nice feelign at all - we were unfortunate to have a brand new MB (6 weeks old with 500 miles on clock stolen back in 2003). Vehicle was never recovered and even if it was we were not keen on having it back.

If someone is good enough to steal these cars then selling them on/disposing of them i.e. removing tracking devices will be a doddle.

I'm sorry to say this but I doubt that these cars will be coming back to their owners. I certianly did not advertise for our one to be found or people to be on the look out (apart from the boys in blue) when our motor went on walkies because we did not want it back after a good thrashing/being abused.

Flash

Most likely stolen-to-order. You can pretty much expect the lesser models to be safe from the professionals, they will go for the flagship models instead (well, if you're going to the trouble I expect an SL55 AMG has the same security as a C180, you take the SL don't you!).

I endorse what 'Flash' has said. I would NOT want the vehicle back and I hate to admit it, but if the villians were to crash the vehicle and ONLY injure themselves I certainly would NOT shed any tears.

More interesting though is how.... How was it stolen? If it gets recovered with the keys, then what would the view of the insurance company be?

Regards,
John

glojo said:
More interesting though is how.... How was it stolen? If it gets recovered with the keys, then what would the view of the insurance company be?
Cars stolen with their keys is a tricky subject. A higher-than-expected number of cars are stolen every year with the keys! If the insurance company can prove that the owner was negligent with the security then they can choose to not pay a settlement for the value or indeed replace it depending on conditions.

Having a dish or a row of hooks for keys by the front door is pretty much giving your property away!

Same goes for having your house burgled because a window was open or a door was unlocked: basically you're not insured.

cars are being taken by getting hold of spare ecu, barrel and key, swapping then just driving away!

neighbours ford KA got nicked outside her house,found the original ECU in my front garden! its THE new version of hotwiring!

be warned!

At end of the day, if someone really badly wants your car then they will get to it and take it regardless to any fitted security device/tracker etc. which we have discussed before in other threads.

Alps: I'm surprised that they went for the KA and not ur AMG... ;)

Flash

Flash, The AMG is nicely out of sight and tucked away in a locked Alarmed garage, with a padlocked gate to the garage!

The KA was on the street, but it was 6 months old with leather interior, alloys etc, quiet a high end model.

Would never park my car in the street overnight if I can help it!!

Alps said:
cars are being taken by getting hold of spare ecu, barrel and key, swapping then just driving away!

neighbours ford KA got nicked outside her house,found the original ECU in my front garden! its THE new version of hotwiring!

be warned!

As Flash has pointed out this topic has been discussed on other threads and I cannot recollect a single instance of anyone citing a case on those threads where a Mercedes-Benz with the very latest ignition system has actually been broken into and DRIVEN away under its own steam without the aid of the proper key.

I have read of various 'suggestions' that joe bloggs got keys from a dealer, or my neighbours car has a similar system and it was stolen. Or the popular 'modern technology will eventually find a way'.

There will be upteen suggestions of how it was done and I am merely interested to read if this will be the first one that I...... have heard of where the car was broken into without the key and driven off.

The most popular methods for stealing our vehicles is either 'car-jacking' or stealing the keys. This is followed by the famous, or infamous lifting onto a flatbed truck.

There was an article which citied E-class as being one of the easier cars to steal, but the journalist was not very knowledgeable on the different models within the Mercedes-Benz range.

It is important to note that I am not talking about older Mercedes with conventional metal ignition keys. I am talking about the more modern 'infra-red' type plastic keys.

Regards,
John

EDIT* any i give can prob be used to steal cars so im not going to say any more on the subject.

Last edited:
Alps said:
As i said. ecu and key must match, hense ecu unplugged, same car model ecu plugged in,, barrel unplugged, new barrel which matches new ecu plugged in, hey presto car started.

no dealer needed, all u need is a car of the same model and ecu type.

hence all those e-classes prob got nicked, as someone had eclass ecu and key. easily got hold of at your local merc breakers!

it may be hi-tech security, but it doesnt take a high tech workaround!

most garage owners use this technique to determine faulty ecu`s (brains, computer management whatever you want to call them).

Hi Alps
I accept what you say, and no doubt there might be other methods, but can you cite one instant where this has actually happened. Where someone has gone to the lengths you outline, working on the car for how long???? Then driving it off.

All the time you are working on the vehicle outside the owners house or other venue where it has been parked with the alarm sounding.

Yes we all ignore car alarms, but perhaps it might be slightly suspicous when someone breaks into a car, and carries out the work you have outlined.

Why not lift it onto a flatbed and take it away to a quiet area and do what ever needs to be done? It will be professional people stealing these sought after vehicles.

Your suggestion is okay, but can you recall where this has actually happened?

John

...sorry to hear of your loss. I expect your car will already be on the continent on different plates bound for eastern europe or the middle east.
Rgds
Les

John,

I can prove serveral instances where cars have been taken into the MB dealership my mate works in with diff ecus and barrels, in all cases the cars were enpounded and reported to the police.

Any car can be taken using this method, it take minutes for someone who knows where the bits are located.

they dont sit and unscrew, they rip out and unplug!

nuff said on the subject really, believe what you want, but your standard security supplied with your car is not a very secure. fine for the opportunist, but an expert will have it in minutes. fit something after market, at least then the expert will think twice as its not installed in a standard manner.

neighbour has since bought a new yaris and taken on my advice and fitted an top of the range aftermarket immbiliser \alarm from a good installer.

It may be good having 'the latest technology' when it comes to security systems, but the one thing that any Mercedes shares with such a car as the Ford Ka that Alps mentioned is that they are certainly not infallible. Doesn't matter in which manner it is taken - once it's gone, it's gone. Low loader, car-jacking or stealing keys - the end result will never change.

Does anybody remember the 1/2 million pound S600 Guard that was stolen off the head of Daimler-Chrysler?!?

Link

Says it all really! :eek:

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom