Stone Chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazylegs

Car
C180 Coupe W204
So I went and blasted the majority of my savings on an 11 plate C180 coupe. It had 6200k on the clock and was absolutely mint. Since I bought it in November, I've had a woman open her door out on it (paintless dent removal 70 quid), kerbed the rear alloy and the latest is debris from road or lorry causing three god awful chips on the what was mint bonnet and a chip in the windscreen.

Apart from wanting to cry, what is the best way to disguise the bonnet chips? I was looking at Chipex, but think a bonnet blow-in would be better? I am obviously concerned about paint match, as previous cars were never right after spray work

With the number of dodgy paint jobs around & future problems of fading and dulling, in your case I'd rather go for the Chipex option or just use a touch up pen to reduce the appearance of the chips, but keep the original paint.

All of these are inevitable, well apart from the wheel. I need paintless dent removal for my doors also, but in no doubt that more dents will appear - no matter hard I try parking away from everyone.

Chipex looks like good stuff - is it really as good as it looks in the video? I was slightly disturbed when he starting mashing the paint with his finger but the end result looks stunning.

Anyone have any experience?

This sounds good. Might get my whole front bumper resprayed, but my bonnet only has a few chips, so this could work well.

So I ordered some today. Will keep you posted over the weekend

I have used this many times over the years.
Some colours work great, Red went well, white, silver etc but my blue audi was a nightare and I ended up repainting the bonnet

Chipex looks like good stuff - is it really as good as it looks in the video? I was slightly disturbed when he starting mashing the paint with his finger but the end result looks stunning.

Anyone have any experience?

I used Chipex on my previous W204 (Obsidian Black). The paint match was excellent but the end result is a lot to do with the method of application. If you can practice on a hidden area it will help get a feel for how it works.

People do tend to say that ChipEx is good, but don't expect flawless results. I was going to buy some until I saw the prices...

Please do post your results.

I've forgot to mention another solution (the detailing route).

Apply the normal touch up paint & lacquer to the chip, the lacquer usually ends up as a blob at higher level than the paint work.

This lacquer is then carefully wet sanded back to paintwork level with very fine sandpaper (sorry not sure on the technicalities of the grit number - but make sure you check that online first).

Now you end up with a piece/blob of flat & matt paintwork - it needs to be polished with a DA polisher using abrasive polish, this should bring it back to shine.

The results I've seen in pictures, look like there were no stone chips in those places ever before - but I'm guessing this requires alot of technique and equipment.

I'm guessing it may be worthwhile finding a professional detailer to do this for you rather than trying yourself. I'll admit it, I'm scared of sanding my paintwork :D

These guys use a 3M product to help stop stone chips, maybe something similar is available in the UK...??

Protect Auto Paint

These guys use a 3M product to help stop stone chips, maybe something similar is available in the UK...??

Protect Auto Paint

Its a great idea & I use this film on my fog lights as they seem to love to catch flying stones.

Although, I don't think that the paintwork will show its full potential of shine when covered by this film (esp in the sun).

I'm pretty sure 80-90% of people wouldn't be bothered by this fact & wouldn't even notice.

I blame the quality of our roads - & HGV's with no mud flaps covering their large wheels for **** flying off them.

I've seen a few examples and it is much better than these clears used to be. To be frank you really have to look very closely before you can tell, and even then I don't think I could tell if I didn't know - it's bl00dy good stuff now a days.

I've seen a few examples and it is much better than these clears used to be. To be frank you really have to look very closely before you can tell, and even then I don't think I could tell if I didn't know - it's bl00dy good stuff now a days.

I agree with you on this one, & the way that the film behaves is immense - the durability seems to be from the future :)

Although my concern would be micro scratches, which I presume you cant tackle with polish & protect wax - although I could be wrong, I haven't had much experience with it.

I know precisely what you are saying re the swirl marks, amazingly with the product they were demonstrating over the weekend there are non and they hit it with abrasive paste just to prove the point.

I'm sold on the idea and I never thought they'd stand a chance of convincing me - not in a month of Sundays

I know precisely what you are saying re the swirl marks, amazingly with the product they were demonstrating over the weekend there are non and they hit it with abrasive paste just to prove the point.

I'm sold on the idea and I never thought they'd stand a chance of convincing me - not in a month of Sundays

Yeah I'm not surprised to be honest. I'm pretty sure that's the type of film that they use to protect helicopter blades.

If your car is a dark colour I recommend Poorboys Black hole. Does a great job of hiding chips, swirls etc. Just top it with a decent wax and it normally lasts a couple of months washing yourself with decent shampoo. Relatively inexpensive compared to other 'touch up' methods.

Any signs of some pictures of the results ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom