Storage time of a new unused battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
I've a couple of new leisure batteries that are brand new and still in their original packaging. How long will I be able to keep them before any deteriation may occur. I will eventually use them but they've been sitting in the garage for about a year

By leisure batteries, I assume you mean a low drain type battery - like AGM or similar? These batteries will last very well, but under two conditions - one, they are charged (if they were not charged, they might not charge), and two, they are kept on a "conditioner" type of charger to keep them fully charged.

The batteries should also have an "expiry" date on them somewhere which will give you a clue as to how long they will last.

The main issue with storing these batteries is storing them while discharged, and storing them in a cold environment while discharged.

Thanks for that mct_cars. I'd better open them up and get them charged then. If my memory serves me right they are 85amp Deep Cycle batteries. I bought 4 all together and used 2 immediately hoping to keep the others as back up

Leisure batteries are sold fully charged and have a pretty low self-discharge rate. Protect them from frost (stand them on something like carpet or thick card) and give them a top-up charge every 2 or 3 months and they will be fine.

I have a 'backup' 115 Ah that is a few years old now and I keep this way. Also a spare 85 Ah that I keep indoors.

By leisure batteries, I assume you mean a low drain type battery - like AGM or similar?

Leisure batteries are usually lead acid. If they have been stored on a cold concrete floor they could well be in trouble.

Leisure batteries are usually lead acid. If they have been stored on a cold concrete floor they could well be in trouble.

Oh dear! 1st job tomorrow. Although they are boxed in polystyrene

You should be fine - original packaging would usually include a foam floor/insert under the battery. All the ones I've had delivered have arrived this way.

Thanks Bill, I'll still charge them anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom