Storms and wind turbines don't mix.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We saw that picture at work and thought that the magnetic brake failed by over heating, rather than turning too fast as printed in the article (noticed how none of the other blades are rotating)

Perhaps because it's facing the wrong way to the other two, sucking instead of blowing :D

^ I thought that was illegal?

if these things are really 3 million quid or dollars or whatever will they ever be financially viable?

The shame of it is...it happened to only one of them. Bloody things. If the lot had gone up in smoke I would be a happier man today.

if these things are really 3 million quid or dollars or whatever will they ever be financially viable?

I did some reading up on them around a year ago, they are very inefficient. Not sure if there is a payback, didn't look like it to me. However, what price being green :rolleyes:

The shame of it is...it happened to only one of them. Bloody things. If the lot had gone up in smoke I would be a happier man today.

Is that you... Prince Philip?

:D

No over-speed protection? No furling or pitch changer? Just a simple (electromagnetic?) brake?

That worked well.....

cheers

I did some reading up on them around a year ago, they are very inefficient. Not sure if there is a payback, didn't look like it to me. However, what price being green :rolleyes:

Of course there is a payback, otherwise private companies wouldn't be erecting them.
If a large unit produces 1Mwh at 10p per unit, it generates revenue of £876k per annum.

Say, £3M installation cost, (which sounds a bit high I'll find out), that gives 3.5 years payback time.
McCain chips installed four units and were so pleased with the return that when they bought another chip factory, they closed it, knocked it down and installed another four turbines.
They did this as part of a whole energy recovery and bio-gas reclamation project which cost £15m for the initial project. The majority being spent on a new water treatment/methane recovery plant.
They have gone from being a massive consumer of energy, with just an electricity bill of over £2.5m p.a. iirc to being a nett exporter.

No over-speed protection? No furling or pitch changer? Just a simple (electromagnetic?) brake?

That worked well.....

cheers

Just like most machines, eventually there will be a failure, it happens.

The Fire Brigade just let them burn out.

Looking at the video, it looks like the blade pitch control had failed, shows just how much power there is in the wind.

I had one fitted to the roof of my E55. Same thing happened on the M50 whilst playing with a Subaru. Flames, smoke and bits of plastic everywhere. Now the warranty company is baulking again, just like they did when my solar panels and wicker cress-growing boot rack became detached on my way to trade up to a Prius.

Bahahahah !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom