Strange tread wear pattern - tyre fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
At the weekend I was changing the wheels around on my Accord and giving the tyres a good examination and I discovered that one of them showed a very strange wear characteristic.

Dividing the tread into quarters from the inner to the outer edge, the inner two quarters were not round:eek:. Looking at the islands of rubber between the tread, the height of the islands was alternately high and low all around the circumference. The difference in height was only small, but perhaps up to 1 mm.

Has anybody seen anything like this before? Does it seem like a tyre fault? Anybody tried negotiating with tyre companies over tyre faults?

When I moved the wheel from rear to front, I detected a humming noise from the front. This now tells me that the humming noise I had at the rear must have been tyre related, not wheel bearing related as I had thought.

The tyre is a Nankang (not my choice - was on the car when i bought it) and it still has about 6 to 7 mm of tread on it. Tread depth seems even across the width of the tyre, suggesting tracking is OK.

Sounds as if the tyre was wobbling for some reason.:crazy: This could be because it was out of round= defective for a start or the wheel is buckled ---but also possibly due to a rear suspension geometry fault or a failing or loose wheel bearing. :dk: I would have a good look at the rear suspension /axle and that wheel+tyre :( Seriously consider junking that tyre :ban: and checking the wheel fro damage. The tyre internal structure may have been serious weakened if run for some time in that state.:eek:

Taken from Goodyear site......

Cups or dips in the tyre tread: WORN PARTS

Cupping (also called dipping or scalloping) is most common on the front tyres, though your rear tires can cup as well. It may be a sign that your wheels are out of balance, or that your car's suspension or steering system parts are worn out.
Sawtooth edges: MISALIGNMENT

Do the edges of the tread have a sawtooth or feathered appearance? This is caused by erratic scrubbing against the road. The solution is toe-in or toe-out alignment correction. Proper tread depth is essential for proper tyre performance. If you notice a loss or change in wet traction, you may not have enough tread left on your tyres. Once the tread depth reaches 1/16th of an inch, the tyre must be replaced.

Russ

This forum might be of interest. deals mainly with the V6 models but AFAIK all the ACCORD Coupes were built in the states at that time. FAQ: 6th Gen 1998-2002 - Honda-Tech
My bet would be some of the multi link bushes in the rear suspension have gone awol?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom