Strange Tyre Prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I have been pricing tyres. Two -225x40x19 and two-255x35x19. One would expect the narrower tyres with higher profiles to be the cheapest but no-
the wider tyres with lower profile are cheaper. It seems strange to me.

It's all to do with quantities sold. The more popular the tyre size the cheaper it becomes because of bulk manufacture.

Agreed. - It's really apparent when you find a size that's standard fitment on a really popular car; for example 205/55 R16 is a VW Golf, so they can be really cheap.

Always found this to happen. On my current car it's always the same 245/35/19 is more than 275/30/19.

Agreed. - It's really apparent when you find a size that's standard fitment on a really popular car; for example 205/55 R16 is a VW Golf, so they can be really cheap.

That's what's standard on my W204, very pleased. ;)

Standard on my w204 like iconica, love it, I can change all 4 for the price a lot of people pay for one, and often needlessly as IMO most modern cars are over-tyred.

Yep, basically dependent on what selection and competition there is out there.

On the wifes old Mazda 3 MPS it took a really odd tyre size, something like 215/45/18 but on a Y rating. Literally there were 2 or 3 correct options and consequently were really expensive. Everyone fit 225/45/18 (really little impact to rolling radius etc.) as they were waaaayyyy cheaper and had about 50 different tyres you could choose.

I'd always thought low profile, big tyres would be expensive but with cars having bigger rims and lower profile tyres in general I guess it makes sense them coming down in price.

I recall having a very odd size tyre on my VW Lupo. They were 195/40/14 so quite wide with a relatively low profile but only 14" alloys and yet they were expensive!

camerafodder said:
I never buy strange tyres, only ones I'm familiar with.
Is that "familiar" in the biblical sense? If so, do you use Vaseline?

That's what's standard on my W204, very pleased. ;)
..So who can advise what make of repl tyres for my 2011 W204 c250 SPORT... ?? Tks....they are 225 and 245,s.. I have Conti,s at present but do Goodyear,Dunlop or say Pirelli do better ?? any adv ? tks foxy52

foxy52 said:
..So who can advise what make of repl tyres for my 2011 W204 c250 SPORT... ?? Tks....they are 225 and 245,s.. I have Conti,s at present but do Goodyear,Dunlop or say Pirelli do better ?? any adv ? tks foxy52
Depends on rim sizes, your driving style, where you do most of your driving and what you're looking for (comfort, running economy, how long they last, wet performance, dry performance, noise levels and budget). Original equipment Continentals are good all round tyres (one of the reasons MB fit them) but other makes are better for different circumstances. Budget is usually a major consideration so it often comes down to what major manufacturer's tyres are on special offer at the time you need them.

My 225 55 x 16's are quite expensive too. As said earlier, it's all about popularity and demand.

Don't be fooled by thinking some of the top brands are the best. They aren't.
Just look at fuel, noise and wet braking ratings. Some are awful.

Done a bit of research into Maxxis H5's that's the tyre for me.

My 225 55 x 16's are quite expensive too. As said earlier, it's all about popularity and demand.

Don't be fooled by thinking some of the top brands are the best. They aren't.
Just look at fuel, noise and wet braking ratings. Some are awful.

Done a bit of research into Maxxis H5's that's the tyre for me.

Agreed, I just replaced my Contis with Michelin Cross-Climate as they seem like good tyres and were very good value in my form factor of 205/55/R16 V. They do stick to the road and have made it far more difficult to pull tyre spins (which is a good thing) so the additional traction is VERY apparent.

They do, however, seem noticeably louder on high-speed road, lots of tyre roar in comparison to the contis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom