Strange whirring sound!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fred_raven

Car
2010 s350 cdi
Am sure somebody on here can point me in the right direction, as of yesterday i am hearing a strange whirring sound from my 04 e320cdi, its not the sbc ! but appears to be coming from under the car just in front of the offside rear wheel! what is located there? was wondering if it was either fuel pump or window pump, but these are only guesses. After running the engine , if i leave the ignition on then the noise continues for a while , 20 - 30 secs then stops. i suspect that whatever it is has just got a whole lot noisier than normal!

If that was from a 124 I would suggest that it was the Vacuum pump for the central locking. This may also be relevant to your car.

dont think so!

not sure to either of these , sls is part of braking system??? i think !!! sure that is all under the bonnet not beneath the rear ! and Ian i had thought of that , but was under the opinion that the vacuum for the windows was in the boot , just re read yr reply, central locking was not considered , will check it out thanks, central locking is working , but may be just the pump getting noisy!

Last edited:
stranger and stranger

Firstly, around the same time this whining noise started , my engine diagnostic light came on! have been having irregular problems with no umpphh when cold which was cured with a re- start & put this down to maf sensor. When light came on had almost continuous no accelleration on kick down! Light went off after a day , but then came back on. Decided to clean the maff, sort of , all i had was wd40 , and a quick cpl of squirts seems to have done the trick. Car is now running superbly. Has just topped 200,000 mls!!!!! and will still get to 45 mpg on a decent run ! Engine light is still on , and whining is still there, so pulled rear seat out , removed the cover and the noise is coming from the fuel pump assy! A211 470 1694 ,listed as Auxiliary pump & £393 on Inchcape . I stress that car is running fine but obviously the pump is possibly going to fail soon! Seems you need a special tool to remove it too :( My question for all you experts , is firstly is this unit repairable , and how do i get it out to examine it? Oh and to make it more difficult the page on the russian site which shows this part does not show the picture of this particular part!:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom