Strangely worn steering wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

72 dudes

Car
A180 CDi Elegance SE auto
Hi,

Following on from my post 'new member in Suffolk' in general discussion.

I am due to collect a 2007 A180 CDi Elegance SE auto next Tuesday. It's from MB and has had two lady owners and 43k since new.

The only thing is that the leather on the left and right of the steering wheel is quite worn and discoloured. Kind of spoils the interior. I think rings or perfume may be to blame!

The dealer wouldn't go for a new wheel in the price but promised to use leather clean and feeder to improve the cosmetic appearance.

Anyone else had this and what top tips do you have?! Don't particularly want a tiger effect fluffy cover.

There are quite a few leather cleaning and restoring products available , try a google search for more info. Regarding the two lady owners , no doubt the sales man pointed this out as a bonus . I find it strange that so many men consider females to be inferior in all aspects of motoring but seem to love to point out 1 or 2 lady owners as a selling point !!!!

probably eternity rings with stones on underside?

or maybe they had lots of warts on their hands :eek:

There are quite a few leather cleaning and restoring products available , try a google search for more info. Regarding the two lady owners , no doubt the sales man pointed this out as a bonus . I find it strange that so many men consider females to be inferior in all aspects of motoring but seem to love to point out 1 or 2 lady owners as a selling point !!!!

Thanks, will get googling.

No, the salesman was pretty laid back, I always do my own checking by nosing around in the book pack for old invoices. Two lady owners might worry me in some circumstances, but I go by overall condition. This one had no dings, excellent alloys and only a few surface scratches. No clutch or gears to misuse either!

It could be the use of hand lotion.
Our house phones always lose the surface of the buttons.

Terry

Can't you get the dealer to have the wheel rim repainted?

Must admit I wasn't aware you could re-paint leather?!

When I picked the car up, the dealer had made a decent attempt at improving the appearance of the wheel, so there's only a small patch right on the bottom of the rim which looks a bit worn now.

May look into leather re-trimming locally.

Get a new leather steering wheel - they are about £150 on eBay and there is a seller from Sweden selling these for the W169.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom