Stuck in the mud! Towing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JasonIFA

Car
2010 ML350 Grand Edition
Hi all,

I had to deal with a bit of off road in the other day and a van was stuck in the mud.

It made me think of getting a tow rope and that got me to thinking would I pull from the back reversing or the front pulling etc. Engage the off road button. I have no tow bar so would tying to the front or back eye thingy work? Anyway is appreciate guidance in case I'm ever called on to rescue a damsel in distress.

Cheers

Jason

If AWD, you should pull with the lower gear (either reverse or 1st/Low).

The tow eye is for towing (or rather for being towed), not for pulling... it is meant for vehciles that roll forward freely when pulled, not for pulling objects stuck deep in mud.

You can try pulling gently but if there's too much resistance, stop.

Depending on how bad the mud is, the other car might just need a mild pull to overcome the slippery surface, but if it axle-high in dense mud I would not attempt it.

appreciate guidance in case I'm ever called on to rescue a damsel in distress.

I say this with all good intent and with no desire to cause offence- The best thing you can do is think to yourself, It's nice to help but I don't know enough so I won't do it.

In the off-roading world, recovery of vehicles (own or an others) is normally dealt with only after due consideration, careful planning and with the correct equipment.

There is plenty of good towing/recovery advice out there BUT in the meantime I would implore you not to use the towing eye or even to attempt what appears to be an easy off-road recovery using it. The towing eye and that to which it is attached is not robust enough for off-road recovery.

The reason I say this is because the forces involved in towing/recovery off-road are significantly greater than on-road, putting a huge strain on components, especially when not done correctly.

When something like a towing eye (or even a tow bar/hitch) comes adrift, the devastation is immense because a huge amount of energy is stored in the tow rope, turning it into a whip or elastic band with a lump of metal attached to the end.

I say this with all good intent and with no desire to cause offence- The best thing you can do is think to yourself, It's nice to help but I don't know enough so I won't do it.

In the off-roading world, recovery of vehicles (own or an others) is normally dealt with only after due consideration, careful planning and with the correct equipment.

There is plenty of good towing/recovery advice out there BUT in the meantime I would implore you not to use the towing eye or even to attempt what appears to be an easy off-road recovery using it. The towing eye and that to which it is attached is not robust enough for off-road recovery.

The reason I say this is because the forces involved in towing/recovery off-road are significantly greater than on-road, putting a huge strain on components, especially when not done correctly.

When something like a towing eye (or even a tow bar/hitch) comes adrift, the devastation is immense because a huge amount of energy is stored in the tow rope, turning it into a whip or elastic band with a lump of metal attached to the end.

That sounds like someone who knows. I appreciate the feedback its useful stuff and might avoid a costly accident. Its a shame with this big ole 4x4 that I couldn't be more use as I live in a very rural area and it might have been useful one day. So I need a tow bar and to learn how to tow properly. MMm guess i will just have to offer my phone for now. :thumb:

If AWD, you should pull with the lower gear (either reverse or 1st/Low).

The tow eye is for towing (or rather for being towed), not for pulling... it is meant for vehciles that roll forward freely when pulled, not for pulling objects stuck deep in mud.

You can try pulling gently but if there's too much resistance, stop.

Depending on how bad the mud is, the other car might just need a mild pull to overcome the slippery surface, but if it axle-high in dense mud I would not attempt it.

Thanks Mark, glad I asked! :thumb:

Agree with Giantvanman.

Don't do it if off road, and NEVER from the towing point.

I off-roaded for years with my old Defender, and the damage done during recovery can be bad... not only to you but to them - and they will blame you!

Even on the road in snow I refused to two cars as I know what happens. The rope scratches their cr and they want you to pay!

I agree -- learnt my lesson in heavy snow, I pulled a Citroen estate out of a ditch in, of all things, a Panda 4*4. Untied and was just about to go when the person I had just rescued accelerated too hard and hit the back of me.

I did some recovery back in the day but we mostly used tow rod (not rope) and both vehicles were equipped with correct hook up points.

If using a rope then - as said - it is paramount that no one stands within the radius of the rope.

But ultimately I agree that if you had no training it is best left to the experts.

Thanks all, my rescuing days have come to an abrupt end! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom