Supercharger question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bellow

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C2500 350, 450
Figured posting this here may elicit an answer given the prevalence of supercharged AMG models.
My question is: how do you ascertain if a supercharger is in good condition (when starting the engine it is attached to isn't possible) and is a small amount of angular rotation (circa 10 degrees) before anything can be felt to be moving inside (ie, slight resistance) a normal SC characteristic?

SC in question is as fitted to a Jaguar XJR6 (type? eg, Roots, etc) but any info on any SC is (potentially) of use to me. TIA.

edit PS.

Just found this: http://www.mscperformance.com/specpg2.html so I now know it is an Eaton M90 Roots blower.
Only question is condition/initial free play. Any ideas?

Last edited:
On an Eaton nothing really goes wrong, they are not known for ware either. If in doubt just get a bearing kit (plenty on eBay) two for the rear and one for the front. Otherwise just change the oil.

The bearings are easy to fit bar possibly a suitable pullers being required for the rear. BTW, from what I understand bearings last, 200k miles has been quoted.

Last edited:
Been Googling and found that there is a coupler that is likely the source of the free play - it is designed to 'give' a little.

Also noticed that Eaton blowers are fitted to some MBs. Does anyone have a list (or link to) of Eaton blowers as fitted to MBs? I'm guessing that the blower on a 1.8l Kompressor isn't the same blower fitted to V8s...

Yes, there is a coupler, forgot about that but it's external so possible advisable to replace regardless.

Eaton M62 - W202, 208, R170 - 2.0 & 2.3l
Eaton M45 - W203, W211, R171- 1.8l

They maybe more to add to the above and no doubt there is but that will give you some idea.

I believe AMG cars use Lysholm helical coil superchargers as opposed to the roots type

Neither my Whipple nor IHI* have any sort out of play when you spin them, however slowly. Both are very easy to turn - there's no resistance.

IHI is what's fitted to all 55K.

Yes, there is a coupler, forgot about that but it's external so possible advisable to replace regardless.

It is contained within a 'snout rebuild' kit so easily sorted. Pretty sure by the feel that it has wear.

Eaton M62 - W202, 208, R170 - 2.0 & 2.3l
Eaton M45 - W203, W211, R171- 1.8l

They maybe more to add to the above and no doubt there is but that will give you some idea.

OK, the above two cater for 1.8 and up to 2.3l motors. Any larger capacity MBs using Eaton blowers and does anyone know the significance of the number designation?
NB. The M90 is fitted to circa 3 litre motor.

I believe AMG cars use Lysholm helical coil superchargers as opposed to the roots type

By a manufacturer that isn't Eaton?
The Eaton blowers are helical but still Roots (apparently).

Neither my Whipple nor IHI* have any sort out of play when you spin them, however slowly. Both are very easy to turn - there's no resistance.

IHI is what's fitted to all 55K.

The blower I'm interested in offers no real resistance either (as you describe) just a 'disconnected' free play before I feel the rotors turning.
IHI on 55K - I'm not that familiar with MB supercharged cars but broadly speaking, are the supercharged V8s much of a muchness? All with IHI units? What of 6cyl SC motors (C43?)? Apart from the 4 cyl motors(with M45/62) - is that about it?

Thanks for your input guys - much appreciated.

Indeed it is. Answers all my questions (for now at least). Crash course in SCs over for now - I should grab the M90 unit I've been offered (and if I need larger, then IHI units as fitted to V8s will suffice - or double up on M90s!)

Incidentally, the only 6 cylinder s/c MB engine is the C32. The C43 was n/a:thumb:

I did say I wasn't too hot on MB's Kompressor models - you found the proof!

Thanks all, much appreciated. Questions answered though if anyone has anything to add - add away...

...- or double up on M90s!)

The M62 is rated by Eaton from 2.5- 4.0 L. It's also available with a long snout. There's two generation of M45, M62 and M90. Iirc, the later version is known as a forth generation 'MP'. Have a look at Eaton's site, there a fir bit of info on the different Roots blowers among others.

IHI on 55K - I'm not that familiar with MB supercharged cars but broadly speaking, are the supercharged V8s much of a muchness? All with IHI units?

All supercharged '55' came with a 2L IHI twin screw unit. The biggest advantage is it produces a lot less heat than the roots type. Whether they are much of a muchness will depend on who you ask. In standard form they left me underwhelmed but you start with a fairly large displacement over many cylinders so it's a great potential if you want to take them further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom