Supercharger whine - how do i get it???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8 Supercharger

Car
W221 S600 V12 Bi-Turbo
Now if theres 2 lessons iv learnt in life so far, is that:-

1. You can never get your woman to stop whining.
2. You can never get a German kompressor to whine as much as your woman.

The first is something iv learnt to live with . . . . . cotton buds. ;)

The second however, im sure is achievable, but im not entirely sure how to go about doing this, or what i need to change/add to the engine.

If you can have a look at the following YouTube video which shows the wonderful sound a supercharger can make. Most of the supercharged cars are American, and they have a really good whine to them, but surprisingly at 5:00 minutes exactly theres an SLS with a magnificent whine aswell. :confused:

I want mine to sound like those is possible, well i know its possible, but how???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfhGEw03k8

Kleemann headers improve supercharger whine.

I've heard the evidence but whether it is loud enough for your 'requirements' not sure.

Have a look on YT and search for E55 Kleemann - look for the yellowy-hued clip and listen to the E55 the first time it moves from right to left on full tilt.

The answer is easy, a cheap set of cone air filters... They will make your car whine more than any woman I know (worked in my 230k slk anyway!)...

Quite a few options

Remove the under bonnet felt and the plastic rear tray - this will release more sound be careful with the clips there are easy to break or tear through the felt.

Spin the charger faster with either a Smaller supercharger clutch pulley or larger crank pulley

Fit a different intake with open filters

You could do all three.

V8 Supercharger said:
Most of the supercharged cars are American, and they have a really good whine to them, but surprisingly at 5:00 minutes exactly theres an SLS with a magnificent whine aswell. :confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfhGEw03k8

It's an SLR mate not an SLS.

There are some crazy motors in that set of clips :)

Must admit I find the whine from my CLS quite loud (and intoxicating!) enough, no mods, just plenty of throttle!! :)

The answer is easy, a cheap set of cone air filters... They will make your car whine more than any woman I know (worked in my 230k slk anyway!)...

Spin the charger faster with either a Smaller supercharger clutch pulley or larger crank pulley

Fit a different intake with open filters

You could do all three.

I already have a smaller Eurocharged pulley, so thats atleast one thing out of the way, and i was hoping this would make an improvement.

I was thinking of getting a belt wrap kit to make the belt more tighter and see if that works.

I have heard how changing the air intakes can help, but not quite sure how that works as the air intake does not relate to the speed the charger is spinning at???

But if theres any truth behind it then is there any particular filters, cones, boxes, pipes i should be looking at?

It's an SLR mate not an SLS.

There are some crazy motors in that set of clips :)

From my affordability point of view, their both the same to me. :D

I was mightly impressed with some of the cars in there, my itch for a Turbo is starting again.

Here's a couple of mine

[YOUTUBE HD]JhrgMAaUuJk[/YOUTUBE HD]

E55 AMG Santapod - YouTube

Ahh yes, iv seen this car, and iv met you before aswell (2012 V-Max event and last years Eurocharged event at MSL). :thumb:

But from that run thats the kind of whine i would like, if not slightly louder. Id rather not have to remove any of the lining from under the hood though :(

I already have a smaller Eurocharged pulley, so thats atleast one thing out of the way, and i was hoping this would make an improvement.

I was thinking of getting a belt wrap kit to make the belt more tighter and see if that works.

I have heard how changing the air intakes can help, but not quite sure how that works as the air intake does not relate to the speed the charger is spinning at???

But if theres any truth behind it then is there any particular filters, cones, boxes, pipes i should be looking at?

First thing I would suggest is remove the rear plastic tray that sits at the rear under the bonnet its a couple of screws and 3 or 4 tabs so you can easily fit it back.

Kleemann headers improve supercharger whine.

I've heard the evidence but whether it is loud enough for your 'requirements' not sure.

Have a look on YT and search for E55 Kleemann - look for the yellowy-hued clip and listen to the E55 the first time it moves from right to left on full tilt.

Thanks John, i think this is the video you are referring to:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_8QH_-tZvw

Which seems to go hand in hand with this one:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLnR3N02VAk

Both are good, but as you say, not loud enough for my requirements. Ideally i would like something the American cars are producing from my original video in the first post.

First thing I would suggest is remove the rear plastic tray that sits at the rear under the bonnet its a couple of screws and 3 or 4 tabs so you can easily fit it back.

Ok, will try that tomorrow if i get some time and see if that makes a difference.

I seen the air intake setup on yours, looks good, but does it do anything to improve whine? And what set up is it anyway?

Thanks

Actually it was this clip at 0:53 but nothing like the Dodgy whiner sound:

[YOUTUBE]89AWnbB8_IU[/YOUTUBE]

Thats even quiter John :rolleyes:

Yeah I know - that's why stated that in post 2 after I realised.

Post above should say 'Dodge' rather than dodgy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom