Swirl marks - how to get rid of them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
As the title suggest my car is full of swirl marks, I tend to wash and wax my car at home, however recently due to lack of time I've been going to a local car wash and now i feel I shouldn't have as I've started to notice a lot of swirl marks on my bodywork, typically the bonnet, roof and boot lid (probably because this is where the direct light is hitting the car).

I was wondering what the best approach to getting rid of these are, how do you guys deal with them?

This way leads to the dark side! Noticing swirls is a true sign of oncoming OCD! any point light source will show them up really well. the only way to get rid of them is using a rotary or dual action (DA) polisher. To minimise reoccurrence there is a proper method to wash your car but I warn you, once you start, there's no stopping. Have a look here: Machine Polishing - Detailing World

Swirls are scratches. The only way to get rid of a scratch is to remove the surrounding material down to the lowest level in the scratch. You need "cutting" compounds and a machine polisher.

You work through grades of compound getting finer and finer until the scratches made using the finest compound are too fine to be seen with the human eye. You've then polished out all scratches. :)

If it's an older car though, be careful as if it's been detailed or gone through this cutting process a few times before, and if you're inexperienced, you don't want to cut through the lacquer if it's now too thin.

Or use something to hide it

As above, sensible answer is to use a glaze and then your usual choice of wax or sealant on top, all the blemishes vanish and you get a much deeper shine too.

Glaze is what car dealers use to make their stock look pretty but they don't put anything on top and the glaze washes off first time you clean it after buying and you see the shed you've really bought :)

Hot wash, maybe some kind of pre-wash if heavily stained.

Oh, swirl marks, as you were.

Thanks for the reply guys. In regards to glazes has anyone here used poor boys black all if so what are your thoughts on the product? And to confirm I've taken the information correctly, the glaze is applied after washing but before wazing? Thank you :)

I've used the Poorboys black and it went on easily and filled the minor swirls well.

Yes, a glaze goes on after claying and before the wax

Try some Autoglym Super Resin Polish as a first port of call. It's full of fillers and will alleviate some swirls.

Alternatively I recently used Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish which is a glaze and again has fillers, very nice product that.

Only way to remove swirls entirely is to polish though using a DA or rotary polisher.

You'll always get swirls no matter how carefully you wash a car, it's an inevitability but car washes (hand or machine) will cause them far more and more quickly :(

Thanks whitenemesis thats good news as I have brought this glaze. And Alex I also have auto glym super resin. Which means no extra purchases required for this weekends mini detail :bannana:

The plan is to see how well I can cover up the swirls rather than getting rid of them, as I don't want to risk going to deep into the clear coat when cutting. Thanks for the info guys.. BRING ON THE WEEKEND

You can minimise swirls by washing in the correct fashion. Polishing only tales off the tiniest amount and it's much more difficult to strike through tough German paint than you think.
Try this Good Washing Technique - Detailing World

As everyone has said - good washing routine helps. Removing swirls is the job of a polishing machine - but as commented you need to be careful but on the other hand taking your time you will no doubt improve the appearance of swirls. (It is a slippery slope before you then start claying & polishing .....)

I've used Poor Boys on my black ClS and it does do a great job of hiding swirls. It's a great product to apply - goes on and off really easily.

Good luck!

Hi,
I have used Poor Boys Black Hole, followed by Poor Boys EX-P Sealant, and then a good coat of Poor Boys Natty Blue Wax, achieved the finish below, thoroughly recommend it :thumb:

Those boring winter nights are soon to be amongst us!, so go and buy an average DA , Kestral Das pro or similar, 3 pads and some decent machine polish, medium cut cut and fine will suffice.
With this kind of DA your grandma could polish your car, so do not be afraid of burning through the paint. Remember you are only removing the swirls, you are not doing any serious compounding here as you would with a Rotary polisher!
If you are new to a DA there are loads of self help videos on You Tube or similar detailing sites, just use common sense.
Now lock yourself away in the garage, to stop getting bored do one panel a week, take your time, buy a cheap halogen lamp to check the paint is free of those horrible swirl marks.
Come March we all want to see pictures of your car, fully polished, sealed and waxed, ready for cruising round the streets with a gorgeous blonde at your side!!

Got to agree a DA is no where near as scary a prospect once you've used one as before.

I'd had one for about two years but fired it up for the other half's SL and then my own E Class. It's no where near as harsh as you'd imagine, to the point that to remove some marks you have to work it far more than you'd have expected. So worth the effort though as you are left with a stunning finish.

Those boring winter nights are soon to be amongst us!, so go and buy an average DA , Kestral Das pro or similar, 3 pads and some decent machine polish, medium cut cut and fine will suffice.
With this kind of DA your grandma could polish your car, so do not be afraid of burning through the paint. Remember you are only removing the swirls, you are not doing any serious compounding here as you would with a Rotary polisher!
If you are new to a DA there are loads of self help videos on You Tube or similar detailing sites, just use common sense.
Now lock yourself away in the garage, to stop getting bored do one panel a week, take your time, buy a cheap halogen lamp to check the paint is free of those horrible swirl marks.
Come March we all want to see pictures of your car, fully polished, sealed and waxed, ready for cruising round the streets with a gorgeous blonde at your side!!

What machine polish would you recommend for a black car?

Thanks

So I've spent the day giving her a wash, applied some poor boys black hole glaze and finished off with autoglym super resin. I know the attached images are taken too far to show swirl marks but they definitely are less visible now. As for machining, I will give it a go in the future but for now ill just cover the swirls up :D

J LAD do you have any DA's which you recommend me buying (something decent for the price)

Attachments

• 20161001_154121.jpg
    20161001_154121.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20161001_154016[2].jpg
    20161001_154016[2].jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20161001_154044.jpg
    20161001_154044.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back