Switch from a normal suspension to airmatic on CLS 320 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AkisGr

Car
CLS 320 with Brabus D6 and KW SC
Hi.
I'm planning some upgrades for my 2006 CLS 320 CDI and one of them is the suspension. But i'm not sure if its possible to be done.
So if there is anyone here that knows if it can be done,would be much of a help.
Can i put an airmatic suspension to my CLS 320 who came with the normal suspension?
And what would i need for it.

Most things can be achieved if you throw enough money at it. At minimum you'll need Airmatic struts, the pump, lines, Airmatic ECU, new switchgear in the car and some reprogramming.

It would most likely be cheaper and more reliable to buy another car already equipped.

As stated it possibly could be done , but at a price. Depending on your reason for the upgrade then there may be a more conventional way of achieving this.

Lowered + upgraded springs / coilovers / bespoke hydraulic setup are all possibilities that depend on how deep your pockets are and what you actually want.

Kenny

I think the investment wouldn't be worth the benefit - to fit the stock system I'd think you'd be looking at a good part of 5k.

To fit an air system from an air company would be close to 5k too, dependent on the system - controls wouldn't look stock + you'll have a compressor in the boot.

As mentioned above, with the amount of effort and money going in - you can get a factory example which will be more reliable + most probably cheaper.

Thank you to all for the replies.

kenny, i want to upgrade it aesthetically and mechanicaly so that i keep it interesting for a couple more years instead of getting another car now.
And really cars with the shape of CLS is really one of a kind.
So anyway thought of checking if i could also install airmatic suspensions cause i read reviews of the ride quality superiority compared to the -already smooth one- ride of the normal suspension.
But i guess the price range we talking about makes it not worthy.

Hi,
If you can source the parts second hand and if you feel confident in doing the work yourself then I think its well worth doing but if you are going to have to pay for the work to be done then to me it would be a no go.

i want to upgrade it aesthetically and mechanicaly

The asthetics can be sorted for around £200 for a decent set of springs and depending on the age / condition of the shocks it may be worth while changing them whilst you are in there.

I find the stock suspension on mine a little firm for the condition of the roads especially with the 35 profile tyres but , all things considered, i would still rather have the traditional setup over an ageing Airmatic setup no matter how good it was when it was new.

The fact that there are almost daily posts on this forum regarding Airmatic faults would put me off wanting to retrofit it in the first place , IMHO if a spring breaks then more often than not i can still drive the car home and fix it myself and i dont see that being the case with the Airmatic.

Kenny

The asthetics can be sorted for around £200 for a decent set of springs and depending on the age / condition of the shocks it may be worth while changing them whilst you are in there.

Kenny

You also said on your first comment about "lowered and upgraded springs / coilovers / bespoke hydraulic setup."
I guess you mean either one of these solutions? Or they're all the same?
What is bespoke hydraulic setup?
And do you have any suggestion on the above? Brands or any link with the above required products?

It's completely OEM right now,and besides
1st) the bodykit installation that i'm gonna do(something which i find extremely hard to decide what body to put so that i make it better looking,a bit more aggresive and unique but still elegant),
2nd) the wheels replacement (Have 18's now,wanted 20's but decided on 19's due to comfort balance)
and 3rd) the power upgrade (will probably go for brabus D6-even though on paper doesnt seem much-but would like to know any other good alternative)
..besides from all that,i also need to lower it properly.
So if u have any advice or info ,would be much appreciated.

At some point I will open a new thread about my project,asking advices and ideas for all the above,before i start it.But i wanna first finish my own search and i'm not done through this process yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom