Tar removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
On the fairer half's alloys there are a zillion tiny spots of tar. I'm normally pretty good at getting tar off using T Cut or Auto Glym tar remover, but no matter how hard I scrub these little spots just won't come off. Can any of you recommend a different method or a product to try please?

Hi, are you sure they are tar spots on the wheel? They maybe chemical fallout from the brakes/road so a product such as iron X will remove this. If its tar, TARDIS would remove these with no elbow grease at all.

Cheers Mike

If it really is tar, try white spirit.

Dab spots with petrol, leave for a few minutes and dab again.

If it really is tar, try white spirit.

No entirely sure. It's over all four wheels. I have tried white spirit to no avail. You can just about 'pick' them off with a fingernail but there are zillions and they are tiny

No entirely sure. It's over all four wheels. I have tried white spirit to no avail. You can just about 'pick' them off with a fingernail but there are zillions and they are tiny

Iron X,

(Any chance of it being overspray?) been in for a service or been part near a car being smart repaired outside?

Thanks Nigel, a very kind gesture. I may well take you up on that offer but I will first try forum suggestions of WD40, petrol and someone even suggested mayonnaise???

Ive recently used TRIX, IRON X with tar remover in one. Superb results.

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but if you have Autoglym Tar remover (blue label clear liquid stuff) try applying liberally to a paper towel then wipe over surface. Wait 30 secs or so then reapply to towel then rub the surface again. If its tar based it should dissolve readily. You have to rub like crazy if you dont presoak the surface.

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but if you have Autoglym Tar remover (blue label clear liquid stuff) try applying liberally to a paper towel then wipe over surface. Wait 30 secs or so then reapply to towel then rub the surface again. If its tar based it should dissolve readily. You have to rub like crazy if you dont presoak the surface.

Yup tried that. No better. I haven't yet been defeated by tar, until now. Unless its not tar. If its iron, is that likely to be black too? I haven't yet tried petrol ::eek:

If it's tar, it should smear as it starts to dissolve. Plus another for presoaking with petrol or white spirits. Pick off the bigger bits as you have been doing, then rub over with a coarser, petrol/spirit wetted cloth.

Orchard Autocare Tar Cleanse is very good. Thicker than Tardis so doesn't run straight off. Leave it sit for 5 minutes then rub lightly with a cloth before blasting with the pressure washer.

It sounds though as if you have something like paint on your car tbh if nothing else is shifting it.

I always use petrol, works a treat, far better than anything else that I have tried.

Going to try petrol/lighter fluid on the weekend. Will post some pics.

If it's just the wheels, you could try Wonder Wheels, it is a pretty harsh product but does a very good job and you shouldn't need to use it again for a while.

I'd recommend giving the alloys a good coat of protection afterwards, i.e. polish/wax.

I'm guessing it's on the MINI?

If so, I very much doubt its tar and I'll comment that I've never owned any car that peppers its wheels with as much (almost) impossible to remove brake residue as a MINI. Try Detailed's suggestion of Iron X.

Autoglym tar remover is a great product, you just wet the panel with the solution give is a few min then wipe, the key is waiting for it to soak, soak a cloth and wipe comes straight of, the other is sticky stuff remover, both from halfords, but prefer the autoglym

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom