tar spot removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
whats the best thing to remove the little tar spots off alloy wheels,the only thing i can find to do the job is metal polish past but i dont want to damage the laquer.

cheers all

whats the best thing to remove the little tar spots off alloy wheels,the only thing i can find to do the job is metal polish past but i dont want to damage the laquer.

cheers all

Paraffin of diesel fuel will dissolve it, without affecting the finish, you can just wipe it off

autoglym super resin polish also works pretty well

Lamp oil is best, white spirit second best.

I bought some tar & bug remover from Halfrauds, it works well. You just wipe it on, leave for a few seconds, then wipe off and wash the wheel/paintwork. It's a good idea to wax the wheels afterwards, the tar remover will remove any wax from the wheel, it will also make future cleaning easier too. :)

Lamp oil is best, white spirit second best.

I forgot you guys up north still used lamp oil , we've had electric down here for a while now .... ;)

I forgot you guys up north still used lamp oil , we've had electric down here for a while now .... ;)

Ha ha...

You know those cute little ships table lamps your Dad sells with the glass globe, what exactly do they burn..;)

Actually I need a globe and flume, do you know where is best to get them from..?

You know those cute little ships table lamps your Dad sells with the glass globe, what exactly do they burn..;)

12 volts ;) oil lamps on boats are a massive fire and suffocation risk :crazy:

Veggie oil will shift it as will WD40. Mind you do not oil the brakes though...........

what ever you use make sure you re apply the polish and then the wax as if it removes tar its also removing the polish and the wax

cheers all

Autoglym do a tar spot remover it's available in halfords

Last edited:
If going to use white spirit or anything abrasive then applying layers of wax afterwards would be necessary to protect the finish.

I personally would try Auto Glym Super Resin Polish for this as it takes tar spots of the bodywork quite easily and is not very abrasive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom