Tar spots on wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twistedmind

Car
Mercedes C350e
Anybody found an easy way to clean tar spots from your wheels

I just use intensive tar remover and elbow grease

Bloody hard work when the wheels are bad

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Autoglym Tar remover, but not quick.

Yeah. That's what I'm using.

Thinking of an electric toothbrush too

I suspect petrol would work, but either way you need to wax them or something similar after to keep them dirt resistant.

Do you mean they are bad with tar spots, or are you confusing tar spots with brake dust?

Lamp oil or white spirit makes short work of tar.

100% tar spots although front MB pads are terrible for brake dust. I have brembo pads on the rear and they are great.

IronX won't remove tar, but is great for brake dust.

Tardis is the stuff for tar, but it's a nasty solvent so use outdoors and wear protective gloves.

I use AutoSmart Tardis, this is very affective for tar on wheel and paint work.

For general cleaning I use Billberry alloy wheel cleaner (dilution rate 1:4 in a spray bottle) & Viken brush excellent for removal of brake dust.

I also use IronX for removal of ferrous material from wheels & paint work.

+1 for Tardis, very effective and economical you just need to find your local Autosmart rep as you will be buying 5litres of the stuff!

Lots of other de-tarring products out there I've tried a couple but Tardis does seem the best and most economical.

+1 for Tardis, very effective and economical you just need to find your local Autosmart rep as you will be buying 5litres of the stuff!.

Google for it - I bought mine online and did not have to buy 5L - bought a 1/2L spray bottle. A little goes a long way - I've done 3 or 4 sets of wheels and still have a little left.

Likewise IronX - bought from the same place online. A small word of warning with IronX - flush the spray head through with clean water before storing - if it's the older type with a metal spring in the spray mechanism, prolonged exposure to IronX - for example while stored - will destroy the spring.

I always use this Autoglym Tar remover, key is to cover the wheel with the product and leave for 2 mins before wiping with a wet cloth covered in the solution, I use Devils Blood on the wheels and the car to remove brake dust.

Chrishazle said:
Google for it - I bought mine online and did not have to buy 5L - bought a 1/2L spray bottle. A little goes a long way - I've done 3 or 4 sets of wheels and still have a little left. Likewise IronX - bought from the same place online. A small word of warning with IronX - flush the spray head through with clean water before storing - if it's the older type with a metal spring in the spray mechanism, prolonged exposure to IronX - for example while stored - will destroy the spring.

Fair comment. Only thing that puts me off buying decanted product is that you don't always know you are getting the real deal. That shouldn't put people off and it's good if you have found a reliable trader. You might be surprised how cheap it is to buy from the Auto Smart rep...

Iron X is an incredible product just wish it was cheaper and didn't smell as bad. Going to try Bilt Hamber Korrosol next time, but suspect will come back to Iron X. You can get 1 litre Eco packs which work out a little easier on the pocket...

You might be surprised how cheap it is to buy from the Auto Smart rep...

Agreed - bought a couple of things off their stand at a PCGB meet in Essex, at an old WW1 airfield, a couple of years ago for precisely that reason!

I prefer auto finesse oblitarate to tardis, also ironx isn't a cleaner for brake dust it's for iron removal, after you have used a wheel cleaner.

JDMUK said:
I prefer auto finesse oblitarate to tardis, also ironx isn't a cleaner for brake dust it's for iron removal, after you have used a wheel cleaner.

Oblitarate RRP £8.95 for 500ml
Tardis less than £15 for 5 litres

Not used Oblitarate personally but it would have to do something very special for me to justify the cost. It does in fairness get very good write ups as does AF products generally.

Isn't brake dust partly made up of ferrous material?! So in part Iron X would in fact help... but OP was querying tar removal in any event ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom