Temp gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

way318

Car
CLA250 Shooting Brake 4matic
Hi, only had CLA250 just over a day and noticed when I started to drive it after it being parked up all day at work that the temp gauge kept going up and down, which to me is strange and would suggest to me an air lock or something.

Any one else experience this as the car is only 12 months old with 7600 miles on the clock, so wouldn't have thought it's had a coolant change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a faulty thermostat or coolant temp sensor.
Should be covered under warranty so take it back.

Cheers plan to ring local MB dealer tomorrow.

How far up are we talking about?

Don't quite understand what you mean mate.

Think Mr Filipov means is it varying around the normal temp (85-90) or at a lower temp (e.g. 65-70)?

It goes between 60 and 80 while it's warming up. Once it's warm it stays around the 90 area. It fluctuates quite quickly so think it could just be a faulty sensor.

Will try and video tonight

Mine fluctuates as well. Had i looked at by Mercedes as it is under warranty, they said all good. Anything between 80 and 100 according to them is normal. Just left mine as is. No hard done and car runs as you would expect. Not sure about your engine, but on mine changing just the sensor is a water pump out jobby to my knowledge. Main conecern for me was dpf regen, but that is going agead as normal too.

Forgot to say mine goes between 80 and 90, but mainly stays as 80

Mine is a CLA250 petrol. Never seen a temp sensor fluctuate as quickly before in any car I've ever had. Like I say it's fine when warm and stays at 90 and doesn't move, it's just on warm up it fluctuates quite a lot. I'll see if I can vid so you can see. It's also seemed to warm up really quickly, as temp gauge was moving even after 1 min.

Managed to video the temp gauge from cold start up after work today, but how do I post video (it was filmed on an iphone so MOV format)?

Last edited:
Managed to video the temp gauge from cold start up after work today, but how do I post video (it was filmed on an iphone so MOV format)?

Upload your video to Youtube or Photobucket and post the URL.

Just trying to upload to photobucket, but had to clip it as it was over 500mb. Now taking an age to upload [emoji849]

Was that from a cold engine?

With a cold engine, you could feel the top radiator hose to see if it gets hot before its time.
It should stay cold till the engine gets up to 80c or whatever it should run at.

If the hose gets hot before the coolant gets to 80c then it must be the thermostat.

Dec

Last edited:
Yes, that was from a cold start. It had been parked from 7am to 4pm.

Will check the top hose to see if it gets hot before it should.

Getting it booked into the dealers tomorrow as it's still under warranty.

Got in the car after work, drive about 2 miles and then checked top hoses etc and they seems cool by coolant bottle was hot.

I'm concerned now it's going to overheat and cause some damage.

Drove another 10 miles and stopped to check hoses and all were hot, so assuming the thermostat is working ok.

That's a gauge or sender fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom