Terrible MPG from C200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookingaround

Car
C200
Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a 2016 C200D 1.6, but I'm getting terrible MPG on it around 30 MPG from the last tank? I am a bit heavy footed on the accelerator but I was expecting around 40 - 45 MPG not the terrible 30 MPG which I believe a C63 AMG can achieve.

Do you guys have any tips what the cause of this terrible MPG could be?

Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited:
Is it auto or manual and what type of journeys do you do. Shortish journeys and heavy footed isnt going to get more than 30 mph.
Have you taken this up with the supplier as there could be an underlying fault.

Is it auto or manual and what type of journeys do you do. Shortish journeys and heavy footed isnt going to get more than 30 mph.
Have you taken this up with the supplier as there could be an underlying fault.

Yh that might be it, Average daily mileage is probably circa 30 miles a day maybe even less, and I haven't i thought it was just me but I will give the dealer a call today. The car is automatic thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Are your 30miles in traffic or more open roads too?

A C63 in stop start traffic might give you half your 30mpg.

My C class is 10 years older than yours and I average 24 MPG or get it down to 15 MPG when playing 'silly boy'.

But it is a 5.4 litre V8 automatic.

I think you would expect better MPG than you are getting right now. I used to ring the neck of my 16 yr old Astra estate (manual, petrol) and it would never get below 30 MPG.

Get it checked out. Good luck :thumb:

Short journeys, heavy footed. Those are your big clues. If those journeys are also stop-start in-traffic, then combined with the heavy foot, 30mpg is pretty good.

Any time you put your foot down, it's catastrophic for fuel economy. If you look at any instantaneous read out with your foot to the floor, it'll be low single figures.

Short journeys and heavy footed are both huge barriers to decent mpg.

Start reading up on hypermiling, you'll pick up some tips on driving smooth and gently enough to get the mpg figures up. Short journeys will still hurt you though.

There's nothing wrong with my engine for instance, which has 20/30/40 figures. If it's already warmed up and reset the computer on the motorway at 56mph and gently glide, I can creep up towards that 40 figure given no slow-downs. Yet my 10 mile commute, plus some heavy footedness to enjoy the 3L petrol V6 a bit, I average 20mpg over thousands of miles with almost no journeys longer than 10 miles.

Are your 30miles in traffic or more open roads too?

A C63 in stop start traffic might give you half your 30mpg.

I would say mostly Traffic, as i commute in the evening rush hour.

15 MPG.. all i can is if ti puts a simile on your face then MPG doesn't matter lol

Any time you put your foot down, it's catastrophic for fuel economy. If you look at any instantaneous read out with your foot to the floor, it'll be low single figures.

Short journeys and heavy footed are both huge barriers to decent mpg.

Start reading up on hypermiling, you'll pick up some tips on driving smooth and gently enough to get the mpg figures up. Short journeys will still hurt you though.

There's nothing wrong with my engine for instance, which has 20/30/40 figures. If it's already warmed up and reset the computer on the motorway at 56mph and gently glide, I can creep up towards that 40 figure given no slow-downs. Yet my 10 mile commute, plus some heavy footedness to enjoy the 3L petrol V6 a bit, I average 20mpg over thousands of miles with almost no journeys longer than 10 miles.

3L V6.. that should glide in the motorway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom