Test Drive Troubles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c43

Car
W204 - C320 CDI, Brabus chip
I have been trying to get a test drive in a W204 for at least a month now. I really want a try a C320CDI or a C350, but so far my dealer has not been able to find anything.

I have no doubts that he has been trying and seems willing to travel some distance to get me one to have a go in, but they just don't seem available.

C200, C220s etc are plentiful, but there appears to be a real lack of engine choice around.

Anybody else experience similar issues?

I have always bought nearly new before and so the car I am looking at is obviously available, but so far BMW are looking likely to get my money as they arranged a test drive within 48 hours of first contact.

To be honest, when I was looking to buy a new Merc I didn't find their sales department very helpful at all.

It seems like they have that "take my crap service or leave it attitude" :(

I have been trying to get a test drive in a W204 for at least a month now. I really want a try a C320CDI or a C350, but so far my dealer has not been able to find anything.

I have no doubts that he has been trying and seems willing to travel some distance to get me one to have a go in, but they just don't seem available.

C200, C220s etc are plentiful, but there appears to be a real lack of engine choice around.

I have always bought nearly new before and so the car I am looking at is obviously available, but so far BMW are looking likely to get my money as they arranged a test drive within 48 hours of first contact.

Unfortunately thats the way of the market at the moment. I was recently looking for a C55, local dealer helped source 2 for me but i had to travel to view them. Only way they would have got the car for me (delivered to local dealer) would have been to have paid a deposit.

Whereabouts are you? I know that one of the salesman at MB Oxford drives a C320CDI and that is available as a demo...

Should any one really have to be trekking around the country, begging to be allowed a test drive of a £20,000 upwards device that will be making the seller a tidy profit ?

Is your love for the Marque so great that you will take anything thrown at you in order to own one ?

Should any one really have to be trekking around the country, begging to be allowed a test drive of a £20,000 upwards device that will be making the seller a tidy profit ?

Is your love for the Marque so great that you will take anything thrown at you in order to own one ?

Now that is a good point.

My local dealer in Swindon had one for me to drive..... a C320 cdi and then I had a C220 cdi for a 24 hr test drive..

As much as I liked the C320 cdi can't see it being worth £32k++++ so decided to stay with my W203 C320 cdi ... dealer agreed it made sense too...an honest guy...recommend this dealership ...MB Swindon.

My dealer in Newcastle Sourced My E320CDi from Newbury, asked for a Deposit of £1000 fully refundable if I didnt like the car, I did so I bought it, but if he had tried to make that stick there would have been hell to pay!

I find this all so odd as others are given one as a loan car while theirs is in for repair or sevice :confused::confused:

Don't think you would get a C320 cdi on loan whilst your car was being serviced - unless you had asked for one as a demo -- service depts and sales depts run their own cars...and are budgeted accordingly..

IMHO

Don't think you would get a C320 cdi on loan whilst your car was being serviced - unless you had asked for one as a demo -- service depts and sales depts run their own cars...and are budgeted accordingly..

IMHO
Someone did get a new C class I cant recall the model or if it was here or elsewhere, I will try and find it.

Depending on where in the country you are based.... my MB dealer (Colchester) had a C320 Cdi that I tried. Not sure if still there though.

I meant he was willing to go some distance to fetch the car for me. I do like MB, but as I said, BMW currently looking favourable.

I've never had a problem with test drives from any of our "local" dealers - I ask for what I want and make it clear that I want to drive that particular model. I've had to wait a couple of weeks, but they've always done it and I've never had to pay a deposit or suchlike.

My experience with other marques - neither BMW or Jaguar would source a test vehicle that I wanted, Audi and VAG did, as did Vauxhall (for Mrs E).

From my experience, the brands keep a central test fleet that dealers can access - some dealers may not want to do this as it may cost them (depends on how it's set up). May not be 100% true for all brands, but all the ones I've worked with do.

I meant he was willing to go some distance to fetch the car for me. I do like MB, but as I said, BMW currently looking favourable.
I would only buy a car I really liked and don't forget the sales ands service departments are separate entities and whilst it is poor that you are not getting to see the car of choice, is that a good enough reason to walk away. What's the service department like? The other day I received a 'flyer' type brochure from Mercedes-Benz inviting me to have an extended test drive of any model Mercedes. What about if you complete this, and when the telephone eventually rings, then stipulate it must be a 320CDI?

Good luck with BMW

Regards
John

After being invited by MB to a track day for the launch of the new C-class I was quite specific when changing my car recently and also wanted a C320. Sadly the Mercedes Corporate one had been written off and so I tried a CLS instead and there was no going back!!

Audi were also really responsive, however, BMW only managed to find a suitable car after I had taken delivery of my new one!

It really can come down to your relationship with the dealer at the end of the day.

I spent a very happy 30min with a CL63 at MK MB while my car was on the ramps.
I had made it known I had no intention of buying but the dealership were very accomodating :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom