Test drives. CL65 and C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GT500E

Car
1967 GT500E
My local dealer offered me to take a 2008 CL65 out for a test drive. It's not a car that would be on the top of the list to replace Eleanor but it was worth a spin and they have no other used AMGs in stock at the minute.

Only 19,000 miles on it and they are willing to throw in 2 years tier 1 warranty. Tempting offer but I reckon I would struggle to sell it on in. I only plan to keep it 3-6 month.

Called by another garage on my way home and they have a few nice cars in stock...M3, M5, 640d, c63 white coupe, etc ....but nothing that had me seriously interested. BUT THEN....I spotted a 2013 c63 saloon out in the car park...its white with black alloys, has the PP and carbon spoiler. The car had only arrived the day before and wasn't listed on their site yet. It only has 5,600 miles on it so it's like new...

Using a simple man maths calculation that I must have that car in my life it looks like I am going to pull the trigger on it on Monday.

I have a 2,800 mile European road trip planned for July I think I found the perfect car to take me across the Alps. The CL65 would probably be the better car for eating up the miles but it didn't excite me at all. It had the opposite effect...

That is beautiful

Go for it the M156 Engine is a peach.

The C63 isn't too far removed from your current car, but the CL 65 is a completely different proposition; one basic comparison is that the base W204 model costs £25k whereas the base W216 500 was £80k.

SPX said:
The C63 isn't too far removed from your current car, but the CL 65 is a completely different proposition; one basic comparison is that the base W204 model costs £25k whereas the base W216 500 was £80k.
Good point. The big CL has every toy possible but I reckon I would just get used to them and it would become pretty normal whereas the noise of the c63 will make me smile every single time until The day I sell it. The 335d is a great work horse and it does everything a car should do but it lacks one major component that the C63 has in buckets fulls.....fun

Last edited:
And the CL65 really struggles to get the power down...I am sure with some practise it wouldn't be as bad but on the test drive it was bone dry and it broke traction even when I was trying to be civilised.

A nice position to be in....choosing between the CL65 and C63.

The CL65 has been with Portadown a few months now - as you say these cars can be hard to move on. Saying that this one was owned by a guy in Newry who looks after his cars. They tried to sell this to me when I called in one day in my car ( CL65 w215) But there was no chance of that! Setting the money bit aside I personally prefer the w215 shape the w216 shape does nothing for me at all. Regarding getting the power down on a 65 it can take a bit of practice and even at that you will get plenty of wheelspin! But the torque and power is unreal once you get over 80 and way onwards - not sure if a c63 would offer that. I am not a big fan of the C63 but there are lots of them about and the one in white you posted does look good (looks like it's in Charles Hurst Belfast from the photo). Either way looks like you will be a happy man.

How about an E63 ;)

bob6600 said:
Exactly what I was thinking! Or maybe C63 BS ?? Unlikely to lose any money in 6 months

I would second both of these suggestions!

rk100 said:
I would second both of these suggestions!

A BS is out of the range of what I want to spend on a car right now and I find the E63 feels too big.

Unless there is a major change of events that C63 will be mine before the end of the day.

rk100 said:
A nice position to be in....choosing between the CL65 and C63. The CL65 has been with Portadown a few months now - as you say these cars can be hard to move on. Saying that this one was owned by a guy in Newry who looks after his cars. They tried to sell this to me when I called in one day in my car ( CL65 w215) But there was no chance of that! Setting the money bit aside I personally prefer the w215 shape the w216 shape does nothing for me at all. Regarding getting the power down on a 65 it can take a bit of practice and even at that you will get plenty of wheelspin! But the torque and power is unreal once you get over 80 and way onwards - not sure if a c63 would offer that. I am not a big fan of the C63 but there are lots of them about and the one in white you posted does look good (looks like it's in Charles Hurst Belfast from the photo). Either way looks like you will be a happy man.

I know the previous owner of the CL65 and there is no doubt it's an honest well looked after car but if a dealer struggle to sell it then I imagine I would even more problem trying to sell privately.

GT500E said:
I know the previous owner of the CL65 and there is no doubt it's an honest well looked after car but if a dealer struggle to sell it then I imagine I would even more problem trying to sell privately.

I don't know the previous owner personally but my da does. Probably would be a bit hard to shift on as there is a narrow market for the likes of these cars. Good luck with the C63 and hope all works out.

Deposit paid on the C63 today....picking it up thursday.

I am excited.......very excited.

Well done :thumb:.

Based upon your predicted short ownership time, the CL was a bit of a non-starter.

I think you'd have really struggled to get your money back out of it.

GT500E said:
Deposit paid on the C63 today....picking it up thursday. I am excited.......very excited.

An excellent choice, congratulations. They are just epic cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom