Test drives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C60three

Car
V60
Hi. I've just posted this question on another thread (which is off topic). How long should I expect to drive a car for? Is is 'normal' for the salesman to accompany you for the drive?
Whenever I have test driven cars in the past I've never had more than 15mins behind the wheel and never been trusted to drive on my own!
Thanks

Most have a set route which is an accompanied test drive, lasting anywhere between 15-45 mins.

In an ideal world, you could take the car and enjoy yourself for an hour, or a weekend, but from a sales point of view it's not very beneficial and generally just gives people opportunity to kick the life out of the car for a while.

I don't think there is a norm. I remember years ago dealers of the more expensive marques would loan a car out for a weekend. Don't do that nearly as much I suspect.

I've never driven a car for more than 15 minutes I don't think, and can think of quite a few that I had not driven at all. One in particular was a huge leap of faith that came good thankfully.

I was given a Jaguar for 24 hours on one occasion and went on to buy.
I was also given the keys to a Lexus on two occasions and told to bring it back when I had finished. I didn't proceed to purchase.
All other occasions have been accompanied for upto 45 minute test drives.
I think that a 24 hour test should be acceptable for a relatively high value purchasing decison.

Different dealers have different policy. Depending on have they got a demo that is registered and taxed, if they do, you should able to arrange an extended test drive.

All you need to do is ask....

Nearly 10 years ago i was interested in a BMW 7 series that was in the dealers (wasnt on the forecourt, but a part-ex they had taken in that was about 6 years old). I was told i could have a look at it, start it and drive it on the forecourt but not take it on the road.

About 2 years ago i expressed interest in a new S65 at the Merc dealers and asked if i could borrow or even hire it for the weekend to get a feel of it. That was politely declined but i was told that the salesman would come with me for a couple of hours if i wanted to take it up and down the motorway or something. This was Leeds Merc dealers, and all i could think of at the time was:-

1. Who was going to fuel it up?
2. And can i make it to London and back in a couple of hours???

Different dealerships, different priced cars and different experiences. But the way i look at it, as mentioned above, the more expensive the car the longer the test drive should be. If you were to buy a used car from a private seller you usually get about 10-15 mins drive around the block and thats usually the accepted time limit, and i suppose even dealers work off the back of that (time equals money etc etc).

Though i suppose i was very lucky when i bought my S55 as the guy let me drive/thrash it around for about 2 hours to make sure i was happy with everything.

My local dealer just gives me the keys and lets me go for as long as I like. I normally have them for a couple of hours. They just ask that I bring it back before they close. Had the c63 demo for the most morning.

Actually its the Same for the local audi, bmw and vw garages. But I have bought several cars from them all in the past.

When I bought the current MB, I had a C250 for an hour (accompanied) and then, the next day but at another dealer, a C350 for a day to myself. All I had to do was stick some fuel back in that one.

Prior to that I drove a Jag XF for 45 mins, and then 2 weeks later I went back and asked for a 2nd drive and got another 45 mins. Before that I also drove a BMW 330 Coupe but the salesman was not too friendly and gave me about 20 mins. I did not like him or his attitude and dismissed the car from any thoughts. I did seriously consider buying the Jag, but eventually changed to the C Coupe due to a change in personal circumstances.

For me, something approaching an hour is the minimum I want and it seems to be ok with these sorts of cars (my local BMW delaer apart!), but the whole day is frankly ideal!

Last edited:
Audi were the best when they were trying to sell me a RS6 v10 twin turbo . Dropped it of to me on Friday and collected it on Monday !!

The Audi dealership in Reading let me borrow an A7 for an afternoon recently, no questions asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom