Test drove a CLA Shooting Brake Today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Had a quick drive of a Diesel 220 CLA AMG Sport shooting brake today for about an hour.
Fantastic looking car, it was an AMG Sport on 18" wheels with the lowered suspension. Its front wheel drive and handles superbly, stiff on the suspension, very taught and precise. Its priced at £35k no discounts available as its a rare beast. No contribution by Mercedes or Dealer, is this normal as I was .offered about £4k contributions on a C Class both based on 3 year PCP deals. Will it hold its value more than a C Class? I'm tempted but need to drive it for longer as this on was on trade plates and accompanied by the salesman who was on a schedule. The car had 6 miles on the clock and came straight out of the showroom, other than the salesman driving it for those 6 miles I am the first to ty it as they have only had it a couple of weeks.
Is it suitable for a young minded 62 year old or should I stick with a C Class?

If you want one wait a while. Its a brand new model so no deals. Pretty sure there will be deals once the novelty has worn off

Its priced at £35k no discounts available as its a rare beast.

Is it suitable for a young minded 62 year old or should I stick with a C Class?

I'd be trying for an E class for that kind of money - not MB's equivalent of a hot Focus diesel estate tribute to he CLS.

There won't be the same deals as a C class, even if you wait. It falls under mercedes' niche group of cars which have a lower margin and less support. They are expensive, I'd never tell a customer that they're the best value, but you're getting something a bit more individual. I'm surprised they didn't have a demo, as all our dealerships have them now. You should be able to get some discount, but it's not going to be 4k

I have got a CLA 180 AMG for the day as my E is in for a safety recall. Within the first 100 yards I knew it would never do for me. In fact, it is awful, all form no substance. The worst part is the driving position as it must have been designed for girls who average 5' 4". At 6' I have the seat all the way back but even with the reach on the steering wheel all the way out, I am having to learn forward with my arms outstretched. In addition, the seats are short with no under thigh support and with the seat all the way back, the B pillar blocks your view. And to make matters worse, when you want to get out of the car you need to move forward to climb around the B pillar.

The engine, I found out, is a petrol engine but I honestly thought it was a low powered diesel due to the lack of pick up and noise.

It also does not help that the seats are dirty due to food stains and the last user obviously had a dog inside the passenger compartment.

Apart from those little issues it looks the business and all for just £26k. :doh:

Attachments

• IMG_20150424_114613.jpg
    IMG_20150424_114613.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20150424_114545.jpg
    IMG_20150424_114545.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20150424_114457.jpg
    IMG_20150424_114457.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 21
It is for 'retrofit retaining clamps for edge guard (engine compartment seal)'.

I quote "the possibility of ignition cannot be excluded". I think that means it might catch fire :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom