Test drove an ML 63 this afternoon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Hmmm....

A bit underwhelmed if I'm being honest, the motor was a very cared for example but I'd forgot how much you've got to work the engine to get a shift on... And the 4matic wasn't very dramatic (rhyme intended)

Seperate to that; what a noise though!

Was it in sport ? Mine feels not much faster than SWMBO's C220 CDI when in C and been pottering around town.

Yeah, was in Sport mode when I got in and I put the gearbox into manual about a mile down the road.

Yeah, was in Sport mode when I got in and I put the gearbox into manual about a mile down the road.

Saw one at Santa Pod do 1/4mile in 13.1sec, that is really impressive for a 4x4!!

If it dopesn't kick you in the back when you floor it, or even raise a smile, I'd say it wouldn't be worth the extra costs over a 420, or even a 320...

The ML63 will keep you poor, there's gotta be an upside to all that.

Hmmm....

A bit underwhelmed if I'm being honest, the motor was a very cared for example but I'd forgot how much you've got to work the engine to get a shift on... And the 4matic wasn't very dramatic (rhyme intended)

Seperate to that; what a noise though!

Was it just a case of the higher road perspective compaired to a low down saloon? The higher you are the slower it feels?

Was it just a case of the higher road perspective compaired to a low down saloon? The higher you are the slower it feels?

I don't think it was that; I've driven other fast 4x4's and been taken back at how quick they feel, this almost felt like I was driving am Evo where you have to be in the right gear to attack at all times otherwise it feels a little flat.

Probably get shot for saying this but, my ML 420 felt more urgent which is obviously related to the twin-turbos but there you go...

I was distraught for a couple of hours after the drive, I'd really wanted one....:(

If it dopesn't kick you in the back when you floor it, or even raise a smile, I'd say it wouldn't be worth the extra costs over a 420, or even a 320...

The ML63 will keep you poor, there's gotta be an upside to all that.

I don't think there'd be much in it between a Brabus chipped 420 CDi and the '63.

There's no doubt that you have to work an M156, but for me that's part of the enjoyment.

Diesels die at about the same point that M156's come on stream (c4000prm), all the way to c7000rpm.

However, the torque of diesels is very addictive - I had a B Class 220 CDi on Monday, and it made me realise that performance electric cars must be an absolute hoot to drive.

SPX, ok cool interesting. I've yet to lose a traffic light shootout, best to keep it in S not switch to M and keep the throttle nailed.

Diced with a C63 (w204) once from takeoff and there was very little in it. My wife also thinks it's sluggish from takeoff however you have to nail it and keep it nailed.

It will walk away from a chipped 420

It will walk away from a chipped 420

That's interesting, have you driven a chipped 420 CDI or even a 'standard' 420?

I'd be very interested to know your thoughts if you had.

That's interesting, have you driven a chipped 420 CDI or even a 'standard' 420?

I'd be very interested to know your thoughts if you had.

Yes test drove a standard one, funny enough I was looking to buy one when I had the 993 turbo, smooth and torquey.

Nothing wrong with them however the 63 changes gears when the throttle is nailed @ over 7k rpm and despite the torque deficit has a 200 bhp edge.

I guess if both are pootling around town the 420 does feel more urgent however in reality when the hammer is dropped the 63 is in a different league.

I guess if both are pootling around town the 420 does feel more urgent however in reality when the hammer is dropped the 63 is in a different league.

I wasn't pootling; I drove it like I was being chased by the police, maybe it was the lack of torque (relatively speaking) I really don't know. I'm going to see if I can drive them back to back, maybe time is clouding my memory.

Whenever I driven I've driven cars in the past with over 400bhp and been giving it some hammer I get out with a tingle running through me, a little bit shaky, because that's the buzz I get but I just didn't feel that with the ML63.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's down to the 4matic making it feel slightly detached, maybe deep down I just prefer turbos and superchargers.

I wasn't pootling; I drove it like I was being chased by the police, maybe it was the lack of torque (relatively speaking) I really don't know. I'm going to see if I can drive them back to back, maybe time is clouding my memory.

Whenever I driven I've driven cars in the past with over 400bhp and been giving it some hammer I get out with a tingle running through me, a little bit shaky, because that's the buzz I get but I just didn't feel that with the ML63.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's down to the 4matic making it feel slightly detached, maybe deep down I just prefer turbos and superchargers.

Yes the weight and normal aspiration does anesthesize the experience, I still miss the thrill of the 993 when the turbos woke up however when you live with the 63 for a while you begin to appreciate how deceptively quick they are.

Have another go, this puts it's performance into context :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kBHpHBYFiU

Last edited:
however when you live with the 63 for a while you begin to appreciate how deceptively quick they are.

You've probably inadvertently hit the nail on the head; I'm not keen on deceptively quick, I like obviously quick! I'll definitely try another though, just to clear it up in my own mind.

I had it in my head I'd buy it once I'd driven it so it's not too much of a hardship to try another.

You've probably inadvertently hit the nail on the head; I'm not keen on deceptively quick, I like obviously quick! I'll definitely try another though, just to clear it up in my own mind.

I had it in my head I'd buy it once I'd driven it so it's not too much of a hardship to try another.

Lol !! Yes likewise however I am learning to be patient ;). Had it just over 2 years now and is the longest period I have kept a high performance vehicle, it must be doing something right.

I think ALL performance SUV`s are deceptive. I have had two Cayennes, on N/A and one Turbo. In both cases they are quick, but you just don't feel it. My mate has the new Twin Turbo D Cayenne....same feeling....I think its the shear size of them and the high centre of gravity. Saloons and Coupes all the way !!

May just be that the one you tried was underperforming.?

Easy to check with a Bluetooth ODB adapter and the Torque App on the phone....just do a couple of 0-60 runs and if it's not under 5 seconds, there's something wrong..

Using the above, I got a reasonably consistant 7.9sec 0-60 for mine, so I guess it's about right....wouldn't say no to an ML that would do it in 4-and-a bit, though!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom